You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Can I trade in my iPad for cash instead of credit?

I purchased a new ipad and wanted to trade-in old on at the store at home of purchase. They wouldn't take it, said I would get a shipping box in the mail. So I had topay full price for new ipad.

When I return my old ipad thru the mail (dumb) I want it to be refunded to me. NOT an apple credit.

Will Apple refund me?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Air, iPadOS 17

Posted on Oct 13, 2024 7:29 AM

2 replies

Oct 15, 2024 7:00 AM in response to Kerh

When you trade-in at a physical Apple Store, assuming that the iPad is accepted, you will be offered instant credit (to be used immediately against a purchase), or as an Apple Gift Card that can be redeemed against a future purchase from Apple.

If a trade-in is initiated during an online purchase, you will be sent a shipping kit with which to return your old device to Apple's trade-in Partner. When using this method, you will initially pay the full purchase price against your chosen payment method - but will be subsequently refunded the trade-in value, to the original payment method, when your device is received and assessed by the trade-in Partner.

A stand-alone trade-in - as you seemingly describe - will result in you receiving an Apple Gift Card. The trade-in value cannot be applied retrospectively, as a refund, to an earlier device purchase.

You should note that Apple Gift Cards do not expire - and can be redeemed against a future purchase from Apple, or for Apple Services (e.g., Apple Music, iCloud+, AppleTV+ etc.)

Can I trade in my iPad for cash instead of credit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.