You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Mac mini (M1) data erased via find my app..

2 hours ago I tried to remove my Mac Mini from my Apple Find My app.. I accidentally approved erasure if all data. no Time Machine or ICloud backup ….any options to recover lost data?

Mac mini, macOS 14.6

Posted on Oct 13, 2024 10:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2024 5:00 PM

It's good luck that you have much of your data stored in the cloud.

However, be advised, iCloud syncing is NOT the same as a backup. iCloud is designed to allow you to access much of your data with several devices without having to schlep external drives from one to the other. Files saved on your Desktop and in your Documents folder can be automatically synced with iCloud

A true backup can store and allow you to recover ALL of your data should your computer take a dump, including passwords, system settings, photos, docs and apps; all of the data in your Home folder and more.

You would be wise to start using Time Machine - or another true backup or clone app - to truly backup your files.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 13, 2024 5:00 PM in response to VossvilleWest

It's good luck that you have much of your data stored in the cloud.

However, be advised, iCloud syncing is NOT the same as a backup. iCloud is designed to allow you to access much of your data with several devices without having to schlep external drives from one to the other. Files saved on your Desktop and in your Documents folder can be automatically synced with iCloud

A true backup can store and allow you to recover ALL of your data should your computer take a dump, including passwords, system settings, photos, docs and apps; all of the data in your Home folder and more.

You would be wise to start using Time Machine - or another true backup or clone app - to truly backup your files.

Mac mini (M1) data erased via find my app..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.