You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Adobe attachment icon

I am using Sonoma 14.6.1 on my Mac Book Air - When attaching a PDF document to an email I cannot select view as icon. Doesn't seem to like Adobe as it did on my old MacBook. My work around has been to save to 'Books' - save in condensed form and attach as a Zip file which is a bit complicated. Has something changed recently that I have missed?

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Oct 14, 2024 1:41 AM

4 replies

Oct 14, 2024 9:55 AM in response to Silsonman2

Sorry to say, Mail is behaving exactly the way Apple has written it. Since I don't normally use Mail (for the very reason of the way it handles attachments), I didn't know they had removed the option to minimize/view as icon until you mentioned it.

When you create an email and drop in a PDF, it looks like this - to you:

But to the recipient (in Mail), a single page PDF looks like this:

So, what is that? An attachment? HTML body copy? You don't know without either grabbing and dragging within the body, which will produce this kind of duplicated look:

Or right click in the body just to see if you'll get an unexpected drop down choice for an attachment.

It simply shouldn't be this confusing for the user.

Personally, I use the free version of eM Client. Looks and behaves almost identically to Outlook. And there's no confusion to what is, or isn't an attachment. They appear as just about any other email client works. Above the body copy.

If there's more than one attachment, they'll appear in a row (or multiple rows for a lot of them), as you would normally expect. No confusion as to what is, or isn't part of the body content.

All of these test emails were sent to myself from Mail. So it isn't that Mail doesn't know what an attachment is. But rather that it very poorly displays them for the recipient.

Oct 14, 2024 8:17 AM in response to Silsonman2

That was a change to Mail at least a few major OS releases back. And a very poor one, as far as I'm concerned.

Depending on what type of attachment you add to your email, photos and PDFs in particular, they get dropped in as if they were an in-line part of the body copy. They appear that way even if you specifically choose the attachment option.

Worse, when you receive emails with such attachments, you often can't tell if what you're looking at is a PDF attachment, or HTML body copy. More than once I or my wife have tried printing an email, only to have part of it missing on the print out. It isn't until you click and hold on what didn't print and drag it around do you realize it's not part of the body text.

A multi-page PDF will appear simply as an icon to the recipient, but a single page PDF will appear as if it's part of the body.

I don't who at Apple though it was a good idea to run attachments and body text together as if they were one, but it was a terrible idea. It should always be clear that an attachment is an attachment. Mail used to behave this way, but now doesn't.

Oct 14, 2024 9:19 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Thank you Kurt. It is so odd as sometimes one pdf document will appear as an icon and the next, from exactly the same source, will appear as continuation of text! As far as I know my software and computer are as up to date as they can be. There used to be a drop down menu appear on the corner of the attachment offering an option to view as icon - but that has been removed (though a drop down menu is there still. Am I understanding correctly that Mail should not now behave the way it is for me? Am I missing where the option to switch to 'view as icon' has been hidden?

Adobe attachment icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.