You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Permanently delete *NOT HIDE* books in Apple Books

Can we please, for the love of all that is good, get the option to permanently delete, NOT HIDE, books from Apple Books, iCloud, and wherever the heck they live? The books I’ve gotten either were not good or I’ve finished them, and I no longer want them anywhere.

Posted on Oct 14, 2024 5:04 AM

6 replies

Oct 14, 2024 6:01 AM in response to lwalk86

lwalk86 wrote:

The problem is it’s not all purchases. Some of them were free firsts in a series or just free options, and thus only downloaded. Most of them just weren’t good, so I didn’t continue further in the series or even finish the books.

Yep, that includes free downloads. At least you have a record of which ones you have tried and determined they weren't any good. If there was a charge for a book you did not finish, then that also saves you from having to pay for it again if you forgot you had already read it.

It seems to be that Hiding the download solves both problems of not being able to delete the transaction and not wanting to see the transactions. It wasn't always the case that a transaction could be hidden and that feature was added because of user feedback, so it does work.

Oct 14, 2024 9:09 AM in response to lwalk86

Cue the complaints where a user deleted a previous purchase and was then charged to download it again. You may not care if that happens to you, but I suspect there would be many here complaining about Apple charging them for an item they had previously purchased. Hiding is the best of both worlds, the user does not have to see it if they don't want to, which is what some people wanted, and they also would not be charged again if they mistakenly downloaded the same content. Even free items are called a "purchase", which is why you see them in your Purchase History.

Oct 14, 2024 8:50 AM in response to lwalk86

lwalk86 wrote:

But it doesn’t solve the problem. It’s still not giving people the option to permanently delete. They could easily add this feature of “do you want to hide or do you want to permanently delete?” Everyone knows that hide is the only option right now. That’s the frustrating part. But what’s being asked in my request and in the many others I’ve seen isn’t about hiding; it’s about deleting. I don’t care about the record. I don’t care if I’ve paid or not. I would like the ability to control what is kept on my account. I’ve seen messages on here going back 10+ years where people have wanted the ability to permanently delete. It’s ridiculous that after all this time, Apple still doesn’t care about what people want.

Or, Apple has reasons that you don't know that preclude them from offering this feature.

You can certainly let Apple know what you'd like to see here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Oct 14, 2024 5:40 AM in response to muguy

The problem is it’s not all purchases. Some of them were free firsts in a series or just free options, and thus only downloaded. Most of them just weren’t good, so I didn’t continue further in the series or even finish the books. Apple needs to give the option to permanently delete. I’ve put in feedback but it’s ridiculous that after all the discussions over the years about this that Apple hasn’t given the option to do so.

Oct 14, 2024 8:33 AM in response to Mac Jim ID

But it doesn’t solve the problem. It’s still not giving people the option to permanently delete. They could easily add this feature of “do you want to hide or do you want to permanently delete?” Everyone knows that hide is the only option right now. That’s the frustrating part. But what’s being asked in my request and in the many others I’ve seen isn’t about hiding; it’s about deleting. I don’t care about the record. I don’t care if I’ve paid or not. I would like the ability to control what is kept on my account. I’ve seen messages on here going back 10+ years where people have wanted the ability to permanently delete. It’s ridiculous that after all this time, Apple still doesn’t care about what people want.

Permanently delete *NOT HIDE* books in Apple Books

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.