You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Safari Private Relay Performance Problems

As I many others have reported, I am experience severe performance issues when Private Relay is on on my MBP running 14.6.1 that can vary from 10% to 50% slower speediest results. Page load behavior seems even more affected where objects load like I am on a saturated link. It's awful. A system-wide VPN client has combatively negligible impact by comparison, however I have never figured out how to get VPN split tunneling to work on MacOS so that I can run VPN but still allow local LAN traffic unimpeded.

Have there been any discoveries as to why the behavior of Private Relay on MacOS is such a widespread problem? I will also point out that I have not experienced problems like this with Private Relay on IOS so I am wondering if this is some sort of conflict.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Oct 14, 2024 6:16 AM

4 replies

Oct 15, 2024 2:13 PM in response to AlWeir

I am not using PR with VPN. (Sorry, there was some confusion caused by autocorrect gone wrong.)

I was saying that PR is abysmally slow COMPARED to VPN. I have to turn PR off and use a system with VPN because PR's performance is so terrible. It's a workaround which is not ideal.

It is frustrating that with so many reports of problems with performance over PR that so little is known as to what the cause of the problems are. It has never worked properly on MacOS for me- only on IOS is performance tolerable, but it's still quite noticeable.

Safari Private Relay Performance Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.