You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Process "mail networking" stalls Apple Mail

I hope someone can help me, as I am getting desperate. One of my e-mail accounts at work is an Exchange account (which may or may not have to do with the issue). At some point almost a year ago the text window in Apple Mail started to remain white when I selected an incoming e-mail on that account, not showing the contents of the e-mail. Sometimes it showed up after a minute or so, at other times it eventually reached the limits of my patience.

I finally discovered that the problem was connected to a process called "mail networking". If I kill it, the e-mail will immediately be displayed. However, switching to the next e-mail results in a repetition of the experience, and having to kill mail networking with every incoming e-mail soon got old.

I tried everything I could think of, including deleting the database, all e-mail accounts and the associated folders and mail preferences, no joy. I eventually got a new MacBook Air, on which everything works just fine. I took the old iMac home with me for remote work, wiped the harddisk, installed a fresh copy of OS X, created a new user, and set up Mail again. After that, e-mail worked fine for about 2–3 months, but now the issue has reappeared. It's driving me crazy. The machine is running Monterey (the newest OS X available for it), but when the problem first showed up it was running Big Sur. I also have an even older iMac at home on which the problem does not occur.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Oct 14, 2024 8:17 AM

There are no replies.

Process "mail networking" stalls Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.