You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Apple Mail not displaying images in html emails from Liquid Web servers

I recently changed web hosting to VPS servers at Liquid Web (hosting company). HTML emails which have images hosted on these servers do not display in Apple Mail regardless of the device. You can just see the missing image placeholder. All other email clients are good to go. I can even forward the email from Apple Mail to other clients and the images show up fine. I have done a lot of testing and talking to my companies. The issue is Apple Mail not displaying images from any of my Liquid Web VPS servers.

I can see images hosted at my other non-Liquid Web servers and other remote servers all day long. I can tweak a setting on my servers if I knew why Apple Mail is not displaying the images.

Anyone had something similar happen? Anyone have an idea of how I can diagnose exactly why Apple Mail won't show the images?--Like an error log for an incoming email or something?

iMac 27″

Posted on Oct 14, 2024 11:37 AM

1 reply

Oct 18, 2024 5:15 AM in response to JamesXant

This is the answer - Liquid Web has custom modsec rules in apache for their servers. This includes one for HTTP_User-Agent Mozilla/(4|5). Requests coming from Apple Mail are coming into the server as User-Agent Mozilla/(4|5). That rule is going to stop liquid web servers like mine from allowing image requests by Apple Mail on all devices. Meaning it will affect other customers. You'll need to make an adjustment to the rules yourself or contact hosting support. I have reported the issue to support and it has been recorded.

Apple Mail not displaying images in html emails from Liquid Web servers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.