You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Unable to restart/shut down my Mac as it is stuck on the home screen

my mac all of a sudden wouldn’t work and just showed my wallpaper nothing else on the screen, so i shut it down and when i used my touch id it would make it just show my wallpaper again and when i typed in my password it would do the same thing and then it went black and flashed a pink screen at me and then when i turned my mac on again my wallpaper was super saturated and its at full battery and i’ve tried everything and nothing is working please help!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 14, 2024 6:11 PM

5 replies

Oct 14, 2024 7:36 PM in response to asya72

"My mac keeps showing my wallpaper to me and nothing else no matter how many times i shut it down or restart: [...]went black and flashed a pink screen at me and then when i turned my mac on again my wallpaper was super saturated"

-------

Troubleshooting Wallpaper Colors:

Have an external screen (i.e. monitor, Smart TV, or Projector)? If so, connect to it, and see if you do not get this error on this external screen. You'd mirror it, seeing if it is any different. If you don't get this error on the external screen, then it is an issue with your Mac itself. IF you do get the error with this screen, then it is an error with your macOS (likely because the GUI settings may be corrupt).

How to Mirror:

• With Touchbar: Hold Down: [command + screen brighten]
  • Without Touchbar: Hold Down: [command + F2]

Oct 17, 2024 7:30 PM in response to asya72

asya72 Said:

"Oh, i haven’t tried that but i took it to the apple store and they didn’t know what was wrong either so they shipped it out to get fixed. thank you though."

-------

You are welcome.

I am wondering if it was an extended screen --not a mirrored screen. But, you'd have to have an external screen of sorts, whether hardwired, or streamed.

Unable to restart/shut down my Mac as it is stuck on the home screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.