You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Lost bundled Final Cut Pro in Mac Book crash

Hi all,

I bought my Mac Book through an student bundle that included Final Cut Pro free with the computer. After using it for a year and a half, the logic board died and needed to be replaced. I lost everything on the computer and didn't immediately try and re-install Final Cut Pro as I was using the adobe suite at the time. Now I find I need Final Cut Pro again, however the app doesn't appear in my purchases (probably because it was bundled in the first place) and there seems to be no option to recover it.

Has anyone run into this problem before?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Oct 15, 2024 6:50 AM

5 replies

Oct 15, 2024 7:19 AM in response to Nstone7

You should have "accepted" the purchase into your Apple id after receiving your mac - in which case, the purchase would appear in your account, and it would be trivial to download into any new mac that you have.

Since you have not done that, you will have to contact Apple support, with some proof of purchase, to ask for their help with this. I hope you can get this solved.

This is one good reason to avoid bundling purchase of apps with a new mac, if you can purchase it separately, as then it would only be tied to your id.

Oct 15, 2024 7:57 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for the reply. I don't remember doing anything resembling accepting a purchase of Final Cut, so you're probably right in regards to what the issue is. Proof of purchase is going to be a tough one. I'll have to see if the old receipt is kicking around somewhere. Unfortunately I feel like I'm most likely going to have to end up shopping around for a new video editing software.

Oct 15, 2024 12:30 PM in response to Nstone7

I would thoroughly recommend Luis' suggestion to use iMovie or if you require a pro-app, the free version of DaVinci Resolve which can do everything (up to 4K) that FCP can and also includes other "apps" similar to Motion, Compressor and an advanced audio editing suite. The whole caboodle in one free app! Plus probably the best colour grading features around.

Of course if you need to export 8K you will have to buy the Studio version for £235.

DaVinci Resolve

Lost bundled Final Cut Pro in Mac Book crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.