You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

mastering plug in and midi

I record a midi track, then add audio channels, like many people. I find it easier to get everything playing along in sync that way.

Then I mix the tracks down to a dedicated stereo track from my Metric Halo interface and the switch on the mastering plug in and mute the midi tracks because they will play along with the master if I don't.

Everything so far is fine. However if I then decide to remix, I switch the master plug in off and mute the dedicated track.

Now I find that the midi tracks have gone way out of sync with the audio tracks.

As I learned to save the project before switching on the mastering plug in I have worked around it but wondered if any gurus out there can tell me why this is and if there is something I can do to prevent midi being thrown out of sync by a plug in.

iMac 24″

Posted on Oct 15, 2024 9:42 AM

2 replies

Oct 15, 2024 3:00 PM in response to justinscottdixon

No - I line everything up with a bar of clicks which gets over any latency issues so I know that the audio tracks are all aligned. I try not to use delay compensation because my simple brain gets scrambled easily and I get confused. The Metric Halo has 8 audio outs so I use tracks 1 & 2 for vocals with instruments on the other 6. So I don't insert the mastering plug-in until I've mixed everything down. If I then decide to mix down again I delete the mastering plug-in rather than mute it. The midi hasn't been altered but it is completely out (behind I think - I'll have to check next time) so that I have to revert to the version I saved before switching on the mastering plug-in. I am running on an iMac M1 with only 8gb of RAM. Could that be a clue?

Thanks for your response and help.

mastering plug in and midi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.