You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Apple Thunderbolt Display 27"

Hello, It looks like the Octopus that comes with the display has some issues during connection.

Can I connect the display to a mac with a new Thunderbolt cable and have the power coming form a different cable than the original? Thank you for your reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2024 2:59 AM

4 replies

Oct 17, 2024 2:04 PM in response to DrDenis

My major concern is about the function of the Thunderbolt connection in

the back of the display. Does it work as a HUB or it works as an IN

connection?

Yes, even you connect with the other TB port, the hub will still function (USB 2.0, Firewire 800 and Ethernet connections).

Do you think the power of the Mac is enough for the monitor also?

You have to buy an adapter for MagSafe 1 to USB-C -- which I am not a fan of due to 3rd party manufacturer's quality. I will highly recommend to use 14" MBP's power supply for the purpose.

Option 2: You can get a good Thunderbolt Hub (such as OWC or Caldigit ...etc.) - it can deliver the power and data for the MBP, with extra connections (such as USB 3, card reader ...etc.) - all by 1 single TB wire connection.

BTW, no matter your choice would be - you still need to get a TB 3 to TB 2 adapter to connect TB display to MBP or TB Hub.

Oct 17, 2024 6:30 AM in response to DrDenis

Yes (in short).. from my experience, this should work (or a quick diagnostic method to rule out the Octopus cable issue). And this should not cost much (make sure using TB 2 cable). If you want to connect to Mac Mini (desktop devices), you can omit the Octopus' power cable part. The desktop devices would use their power sources.

If you use laptop devices and use it as "clam shell mode" - you can just use the laptop's own power cord for that.

Oct 17, 2024 6:43 AM in response to samtenor

Hi, thank you very much for your prompt reply.

My plan is to used it connected to a macbook pro 14" closed. Do you think the power of the Mac is enough for the monitor also?

My major concern is about the function of the Thunderbolt connection in the back of the display. Does it work as a HUB or it works as an IN connection?

Thank you

Apple Thunderbolt Display 27"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.