You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Why must I update my Photos library?

My 16in MacBookPro is running Sonoma 14.7, just updated this morning from 14.4. When I was running 14.4 and wanted to change wallpaper on a desktop to a photo from Photos, I was told to update my photo library. I did not understand and could see no way to do this. After the OS update, I no longer get that warning, so what has happened and what was the point of the warning? I know this looks like a non-problem but I'd like to understand what has happened and why.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.7

Posted on Oct 16, 2024 4:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2024 8:46 AM

Purler2012 wrote:

Thank you for opening up further possible explanations of the message which was mystifying me. If that is what was meant, i.e. that the OS needed updating before I next opened my copy of Photos, why was this not made clear by Apple? I did realise that it was the Library that was being referred to but, not being psychic - yet, but I'm working on it! - had no idea how to proceed. I am much obliged to this community for taking the trouble to respond and clarify.

I have always taken for granted that when there is a MacOS update, files/libraries such as the Photos Library and Music Library may have their formats updated, presumably to fix bugs or add features from that update. But all users are not necessarily aware of that. You went from 14.4 to 14.7, so that is a reasonably large increment and apparently updating the 14.4 Photos Library was required before it could be used within 14.7. When a MacOS update is applied, it does not update the format of the Photos Library (if that is required), that updating occurs when Photos is next opened by the user. The update can be quite fast and easy to miss, but sometimes if you watch carefully you will see a progress bar and a label such as "Updating Library ..." What Apple could improve upon here, I think, is the situation you had where you wanted images from the Photos Library to be incorporated into your wallpaper yet those Photos could not be accessed until the Photos Library was updated (as Luis pointed out), which in turn requires the user to take the extra step of explicitly opening and running Photos, which then opens and updates that Library. I think a better approach would have been for the wallpaper to initiate that Photos Library update behind the scenes so you would not have been perplexed as you were. That would be an improvement to the user interface.

One wrinkle here is that often the new updated Photos Library format cannot be used by the older version of the MacOS, pre-update. This can catch some users unawares who want to "roll back" their MacOS to a previous version, not realizing that post-update, their Apple Mail and Photos Library and any other number of key files/folders after updating cannot be used in the older MacOS.

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 19, 2024 8:46 AM in response to Purler2012

Purler2012 wrote:

Thank you for opening up further possible explanations of the message which was mystifying me. If that is what was meant, i.e. that the OS needed updating before I next opened my copy of Photos, why was this not made clear by Apple? I did realise that it was the Library that was being referred to but, not being psychic - yet, but I'm working on it! - had no idea how to proceed. I am much obliged to this community for taking the trouble to respond and clarify.

I have always taken for granted that when there is a MacOS update, files/libraries such as the Photos Library and Music Library may have their formats updated, presumably to fix bugs or add features from that update. But all users are not necessarily aware of that. You went from 14.4 to 14.7, so that is a reasonably large increment and apparently updating the 14.4 Photos Library was required before it could be used within 14.7. When a MacOS update is applied, it does not update the format of the Photos Library (if that is required), that updating occurs when Photos is next opened by the user. The update can be quite fast and easy to miss, but sometimes if you watch carefully you will see a progress bar and a label such as "Updating Library ..." What Apple could improve upon here, I think, is the situation you had where you wanted images from the Photos Library to be incorporated into your wallpaper yet those Photos could not be accessed until the Photos Library was updated (as Luis pointed out), which in turn requires the user to take the extra step of explicitly opening and running Photos, which then opens and updates that Library. I think a better approach would have been for the wallpaper to initiate that Photos Library update behind the scenes so you would not have been perplexed as you were. That would be an improvement to the user interface.

One wrinkle here is that often the new updated Photos Library format cannot be used by the older version of the MacOS, pre-update. This can catch some users unawares who want to "roll back" their MacOS to a previous version, not realizing that post-update, their Apple Mail and Photos Library and any other number of key files/folders after updating cannot be used in the older MacOS.

Oct 18, 2024 8:11 PM in response to Purler2012

Purler2012 wrote:

I did realise that it was the Library that was being referred to but, not being psychic - yet, but I'm working on it! - had no idea how to proceed.

Unfortunately I've been seeing a lot of confusing messages/notifications from macOS these last few years. It just seems to keep getting worse. I work in IT (over 25 years) and have a technical background, but I cannot always figure out my options or what Apple is trying to tell me. Sometimes a choice has to be made and sometimes I cannot even tell which is the safe choice to prevent any changes......that is sad for a company that used to be known as very friendly to non-technical average people who were afraid of computers back in the day.

Oct 19, 2024 7:13 AM in response to HWTech

"that is sad for a company that used to be known as very friendly to non-technical average people who were afraid of computers back in the day."

This a hot button for me and I lay almost all the blame at the feet of the “power user” class who constantly demand more features, more options, more complicated processes.

The next offenders are the hackers and malware thieves who have forced tech companies like Apple to constantly increase security and privacy measures. The “Are you sure you wasn’t to do this” popups, the “This may damage your computer” warnings are the bane of volunteers here. Tech average users are frightened to even tap a key.

Finally, since the dawn of the personal computer, software and hardware engineers have labored in vain to make the tech easy to use, the so-called toaster analogy. In a previous generation the symbol of that failure was the flashing 12:00 on the VCR sitting under the TV. It has only gotten worse. “Point and click” has become scary. But there is no turning back now is there.

Oct 17, 2024 2:42 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Why must I update my Photos library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.