You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Can I move photos from my iPad to an external hard drive?

I’ve run out of space on my iPad, but need to keep some of the photos/videos. Can I move them to an external device (USB stick or external hard drive) before deleting them from my iPad, and if so, how do I do it?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 16, 2024 10:12 AM

1 reply

Oct 16, 2024 10:23 AM in response to LeLeLauren

Start here:

Connect external storage devices to iPad - Apple Support

For an iPad with a Lightning connector, you’ll require an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter:

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

To provide sufficient power for the USB drive, you’ll need to connect a Power Adapter (charger) rated at least 12W to the auxiliary Lightning port of the Camera Adapter. The iPad, on its own, except for very low power devices, cannot supply adequate power for connected USB storage devices. The Power Adapter supplied with your iPad, with the appropriate cable, is likely to be adequate.

For an iPad with a USB-C connector, you’ll need to connect your iPad and the USB Flash Drive to a powered USB hub.

In all cases, your USB storage must have a single data partition - and be formatted as FAT32, exFAT or APFS. iPad cannot read multi-partition devices, or proprietary device formats (such as NTFS).

Can I move photos from my iPad to an external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.