You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

My iMac is taking so long to wake up and open any app

My iMac is running excruciatingly slow. Takes forever to wake, takes forever to open any app. Spending more time with the pinwheel than doing anything else. It's an iMac 16,2 runs Monterey 12.7.4. Activity monitor says CPU is mostly free. Does Apple have some kind of diagnostic that would id the problem? What to do?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Oct 16, 2024 2:06 PM

4 replies

Oct 18, 2024 9:47 AM in response to 3757C

If you did not up-order your storage to Apple's Fusion driver option option or their solid-state options, history here teaches that 95% of slow iMac issues are rather the under-spec mechanical hard drives Apple installed in 21.5-inch iMac made between 2012 and 2019. The beauty of the Etreceh report that it performs a drive speed test and reports the number so we can compare it to known performance metrics.

EtreCheck is not a "fix-it" utility but rather a reporting one. It is designed so that posting its report here will not reveal any personal or secure information. It is the best tool we have for diagnosing Mac computer issues remotely.

My iMac is taking so long to wake up and open any app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.