You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How to boot from USB without re-installing the OS to the Mac hard drive

I'm trying to repair and retrieve photos for my sister in-law from her old Mac A1225 (I think it is circa 2009)

When starting up I get the logo and progress bar then the screen goes grey and nothing happens.

I've done the Safe mode, Disk Utility and PRAM reset with no success.

I was able to turn on verbose logging. It showed an error "invalid sibling link" and that the Macintosh HD could not be repaired.

I was able to create an El Capitan bootable USB drive.

When I boot up from the USB drive, the only option I seem to have is to load the OS to the existing drive.

I get the option to choose language then a continue prompt for the question "To set up the installation of the OS X click continue. The next screen gives me the option to install the OS X to either the OS X Base System (the USB drive) or to the Macintosh HD.

I don't want to install it to the Macintosh HD because I don't want to overwrite/wipe out the files on the HD.

What I want to do is to be able to run some disk utilities to see if I can recover the photos.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Oct 16, 2024 8:39 PM

9 replies

Oct 17, 2024 4:43 AM in response to Niel

Thanks for the input Neil.

I'm unable to get to the disk utility. I can't boot up to the computer's hard drive or access the disk utility. The bootable USB doesn't yet give me the option to access the disk utility because it wants me to install the OS to the computer's hard drive, which I'm hesitant to do because it might over write/wipe out the data I want to recover.

Oct 17, 2024 8:27 AM in response to Merccooper

Since you don't want to reinstall the OS onto the internal drive, another option is to boot from the USB installer and install OS X onto another external HDD. Once done, you can boot the computer from that other external drive and then you may be able to navigate into the internal drive to locate and copy off the photos you hope to save.

You could also run diagnostics and utilities on the internal drive.

Oct 17, 2024 8:42 AM in response to Merccooper

You can access Disk Utility when booted from the macOS USB installer.

Probably the easiest way forward is to install macOS to an external drive. Then boot from the external drive in order to attempt to access the data stored on the internal drive. You will need use Disk Utility to erase the external drive as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled) before selecting the "Install macOS El Capitan" option.

FYI, I would first check the health of the internal hard drive. More than likely the internal hard drive is either worn out or even failing. Trying to access data from a failing hard drive is tricky since the more you attempt to access the data the worse the drive failure becomes where even a professional data recovery service will be unable to recover any data. Most apps and even macOS itself are not designed to deal with the errors produced by a failing drive so they make matters worse. If you install macOS to an external drive, then you can use the third party app DriveDx (free trial period) to check the health of the internal hard drive. I can also provide instructions for checking the health of the drive by creating & using a bootable Linux USB stick if interested.

Also, the A1225 designation appears to reference 2007 to early-2009 iMacs so there is no Internet Recovery Mode. However, using Command + Option + R should allow you to access the local recovery partition to reinstall macOS without requiring authentication with an AppleID to confirm a previous "purchase" of the OS.

Oct 18, 2024 7:14 AM in response to Niel

However, this is a very poorly documented option for the models without access to Internet Recovery Mode in their firmware. If you use Command + Option + R with them, then it will load from the local recovery mode partition, but not ask to authenticate with an AppleID to confirm a previous purchase of that currently installed OS. There used to be a vague reference to this in the official Apple documentation, but I believe this was later removed a few years ago. I think it was meant so when people sold their older Macs that the new owner would have a clean OS not associated with the previous owner's AppleID. Again, Apple was very vague on this.

Oct 19, 2024 7:01 AM in response to HWTech

A model too old for the Internet Recovery mode firmware will have shipped with a physical disk; there isn't a way to install 10.7 to 10.11 through the recovery system on them without it being tied to their Apple Account.

If someone installs 10.7 from one of Apple's thumbdrives, it won't create a recovery partition.

(256034)

How to boot from USB without re-installing the OS to the Mac hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.