You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Failed to personalise update : Sonoma 14.7 and Sequoia 15.0.1

My system is a MacBook M2 Pro 2023.

Current OS : Sonoma 14.5

I've been getting the "Failed to personalise error" message

I've tried out the command line as well :

using `softwareupdate -i -a` command , but given following error :

Finding available software

Downloading macOS Sonoma 14.7

Password: 

Downloading: 100.00%

Failed to download & prepare update: Error Domain=SUOSUErrorDomain Code=201 "Failed to personalise the software update. Please try again." UserInfo={NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=An error occurred while downloading the selected updates. Please check your internet connection and try again., NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to personalise the software update. Please try again., NSUnderlyingError=0x600003d5cae0 {Error Domain=SUMacControllerError Code=7723 "[SUMacControllerErrorPreflightPersonalizeFailed=7723] Failed to perform PreflightPersonalize operation: [MobileSoftwareUpdateErrorDomain(MSU):MSU_ERR_PERSONALIZATION_FAILURE(2)]" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to personalise the software update. Please try again., SUMacControllerErrorIndicationsMask=0, NSDebugDescription=[SUMacControllerErrorPreflightPersonalizeFailed=7723] Failed to perform PreflightPersonalize operation: [MobileSoftwareUpdateErrorDomain(MSU):MSU_ERR_PERSONALIZATION_FAILURE(2)], NSUnderlyingError=0x600003d5c420 {Error Domain=MobileSoftwareUpdateErrorDomain Code=2 "could not obtain device identity information through SFR installer" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=could not obtain device identity information through SFR installer, target_update=24A348}}}}}

My internet connection is about 100 Mbps and stable enough to stream 4K videos and online gaming. Ping is less than 100ms for remote servers.

I have tried turning off `Find my` on my iCloud as well as turning off `FileVault` as per other internet answers but still can't update.

Is this still an active global problem ? Are these update even required ?

I do not want to wipe clean my Mac and re-setup

Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.5

Posted on Oct 17, 2024 9:48 AM

4 replies

Oct 18, 2024 2:46 AM in response to ybsid

Just to add to the good advise by @steve626

There are factors:

Some which are beyond your control and those with are totally under your control

Slow wifi connection

Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

Notation: Disabling the AV Software may or may not solve the issue.

Removal of the AV Software may increase the chances of the download to perform as expected.

Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses or corruption of the download 

If via wifi  & too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal 

Try Again using the Software Update Applet in System Preferences / Setting 

Worst case - Restart in Recovery Mode and choose Reinstall macOS. 

This in theory will pull the latest version of macOS this computer qualifies to run 

Oct 17, 2024 8:45 PM in response to ybsid

ybsid wrote:

My internet connection is about 100 Mbps and stable enough to stream 4K videos and online gaming. Ping is less than 100ms for remote servers.
I have tried turning off `Find my` on my iCloud as well as turning off `FileVault` as per other internet answers but still can't update.

One reason this can happen is a problem with the internet link. Can you connect directly to the router with an ethernet cable? The problem might not be your internet connection but it could be RF interference on the WiFi.

100 Mbps is not a very fast connection, how are you getting that, cable connection, DSL, other ...? And ping of 100 ms is quite poor, that indicates delays are occurring between your Mac and the internet provider. Could occur almost anywhere between. A good ping is 10 ms. Are you using a VPN, that can slow down everything and create delays and hitches in the internet link.

You could go to an Apple store and try the update there, they provide a free, stable high speed internet signal.

Oct 18, 2024 9:15 AM in response to ybsid

While I've not had this specific error message; I have encountered similar instances of a corporate network blocking access to portions of iCloud that have some impact on downloading macOS updates / upgrades. In one case, I had to use a mobile hotspot on my iPhone or an alternate WiFi network that wasn't being heavily inspected and filtered by corporate firewalls, etc. If you are running a corporate VPN you had better check with your IT department before you upgrade to macOS Sequoia, Sonoma should be fine but Sequoia has some VPN bugs.

If the Mac is portable try another Internet connection such as a public wifi access point that is fast. Apple store is a good option but also a public library, coffeeshop, etc. I don't recommend using a cellular hotspot if you can avoid it but if you have enough data and speed it will work.

Failed to personalise update : Sonoma 14.7 and Sequoia 15.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.