You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Keyboard stops responding randomly

Updated my Mac mini to Mac OS Sonoma 14.6.1 and on random occasions, the keyboard just stops responding. I have to hard boot my Mini Mac to get things to work again. No 3rd party software on my computer. Restart did not fix, as I could not type in my Password to get into the computer. Hold down power button to force restart, then keyboard starts working again.

Mac mini, macOS 14.6

Posted on Oct 17, 2024 9:46 AM

5 replies

Oct 17, 2024 11:30 PM in response to Disappointedmini

Disappointedmini wrote:

Using a bluetooth keyboard (last 3 years) with a USB dongle, I just updated to OS Sonoma 14.7 since I typed this question.

Sorry, this does not add up. If it's a bluetooth keyboard, you don't need a dongle.

It is a wireless keyboard, for sure, but not bluetooth, I believe.

Can you tell us what the manufacturer and model of the keyboard is?

It seems to me that what you may need is to check with the keyboard manufacturer to see if there is some software or firmware update for it.

Oct 19, 2024 9:00 AM in response to Disappointedmini

Disappointedmini wrote:

Updated my Mac mini to Mac OS Sonoma 14.6.1 ... the keyboard just stops responding.

I think your clue is that this happened after you updated the MacOS. That means that the device (sounds like a non-Apple device) is not compatible with the most recent versions of the MacOS. Luis suggested a firmware or driver update, which is probably your only option, if the company offers one. But after a future MacOS update, it might stop working again.

I would get an Apple keyboard as that guarantees compatibility. Also, PRP wisely suggests having wired keyboard and mouse (which can be obtained for very low cost) available just in case. I have several of those in a box and once in a while need to use them when a bluetooth device battery gets run down. With the Apple bluetooth keyboards, you can continue to use it when it is connected and charging, but that is not possible with the bluetooth mouse. Sometimes one wants to have wired input devices when booting into recovery, it makes it much easier. You can get used Apple wired keyboards and mice online for a few dollars, and often generic wired keyboards and mice will work with Apple computers.

Oct 17, 2024 1:26 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Using a bluetooth keyboard (last 3 years) with a USB dongle, I just updated to OS Sonoma 14.7 since I typed this question. Sequoa 15.0.1 is available, But I question the new OS before they work out the bugs from it. My Mac mini does not have an installed keyboard, and when it glitches, I cannot even unlock the screen. because I am unable to put in the password! so it gets hard booted, because I cannot get in to it any other way.

Oct 18, 2024 2:29 AM in response to Disappointedmini

Lesson learned when using a Third Party Bluetooth Keyboard that Requires a dongle .

Keep a cheap USB Keyboard and cheap USB Mouse at the ready for this special occasions

Have 2 Mac Minis each with a separate Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and separate Apple Bluetooth mice that do not Require any dongle

The fact that " I have to hard boot my Mini Mac to get things to work again. " would indicate.

As my learned colleague has alluded to " It seems to me that what you may need is to check with the keyboard manufacturer to see if there is some software or firmware update for it. "

Keyboard stops responding randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.