You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Getting files back from iCloud Drive to Macbook

Hello,

Some weeks ago I sent my Macbook to get dusted out and I created a backup of my Documents and Desktop folder on my iCloud drive. Everything went fine, but my iCloud storage is full now. I'd like to get the folders back to my Macbook, so I have them on my hard drive instead of iCloud, I tried downloading them via the "Download now" function, but it keeps getting stuck, I am not sure if it's downloading.

If I turn on off sync for Desktop and Documents folders in iCloud settings, the folders vanish from my Mac, my desktop gets empty.

If it's turned on, I see my files but noticeably they are not stored on the Mac, just the iCloud.

So what I would want is to get all the files back from iCloud and have them on my Macbook, so I would be able to delete them from iCloud. Is there a way to download everything back to it's original place?

Thank you and apologies if this is a dumb question, I am getting frustrated here.

John

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Oct 18, 2024 7:10 AM

3 replies

Oct 18, 2024 7:38 AM in response to muguy

HI, thank you for the reply.

I think I understand, but when I turn Sync this Mac off, all my files from the desktop disappear and I can't find them. Is there a way of turning off the iCloud sync and downloading the files automatically to their original place?

I also tried copying the files back to my Desktop from the iCloud Drive sidebar in Finder and it gives me this warning:

Shoud I do it this way, as you mentioned?

Oct 18, 2024 7:14 AM in response to JohnDargoczi

Any file in iCloud is also on your ac unless you elect to optimize storage. Then, some. files may offload to iCloud only status. If you have enabled sync using desktop and documents, and subsequently turn that feature off, your folders are moved into iCloud and replaced. with new versions on your Mac. You can simply navigate to iCloud Drive in your sidebar and drag/drop the files to the desktop and the documents locations on your Mac.

Getting files back from iCloud Drive to Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.