You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iPod Classic showing as Connected on device and connected in System Information but not in Finder/Apple Music

Hi all,

I recently tried to sync both of my iPod classics for the first time in a long time. Normally, it takes a while to show within Finder but was surprised when it didn't show at all! After a quick google of some potential issues I got to work and I sit here 3 hours later with the same problem. I've listed out actions taken below with as much detail as possible. I am really hoping someone can help!

Issue:

• Connect fully charged iPod classic 160GB (or my second iPod classic 80GB) to 13" MacBook Pro 2020 M1 Chip
  • iPods reflect as Connected on their screen and as connected within the System information application
  • iPods are not shown within Finder or Apple Music
  • iPods are charging when connected though

Actions taken:

• Updated all Apple software on the Mac to the latest version
  • Removed all potential software which could interfere. VPN apps/configurations, profiles, firewalls etc
  • Attempted to connect iPod in docked mode (MENU/SELECT hold for 6 seconds and then SELECT/PLAY hold for 6 seconds). Still not recognised
  • Attempted to connect via different USB cables
  • Attempted DFU restore (not sure if I did this correctly)
  • iPod 1 Hard Drive Info:

Retracts: 9

Reallocs: 48

Pending Sectors: 8

Poweron hours; 458

Start/Stops: 66886

Temp: Current 27c

Temp: Min 3c

Temp: Max 51c

• iPod 2 Hard Drive Info:

Retracts: 12

Reallocs: 4920

Pending Sectors: 1944

Poweron hours; 710

Start/Stops: 35975

Temp: Current 28c

Temp: Min 9c

Temp: Max 47c

Suspected Issues:

• I'm not sure from the hard drive numbers whether that could be the issue. The article I was reading suggest my number for iPod 1 aren't the best but they don't seem fatal!
  • The cable is charging both iPods but maybe there is now an issue with it transferring date. I'm not sure on this one
  • Most likely though is that I started to use VPNs whilst I was working away from home for a while. I have uninstalled all of the apps now and removed all configurations but I'm not sure what further checks I can do to rule this out as the culprit.

Thankyou for anyone who is able to help! I'm at the end of the line now!

iPod Classic

Posted on Oct 18, 2024 9:39 AM

There are no replies.

iPod Classic showing as Connected on device and connected in System Information but not in Finder/Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.