You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Contact List hacked

I received an email that threatens to send to all my contacts information about me that is not true. They want me to pay a ransom not to send the disinformation. How can I protect my contact list. They also included a picture of my neighbor’s house, presumably they took it from my Ring doorbell which the app isn’t even on my phone. What should I do…I have an Apple 14 phone and an IPad.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on Oct 18, 2024 1:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2024 1:45 PM

Actually they made a mistake. Normally they send a picture of your house. This information is readily available on the internet and yes it is a scam. The picture is a Google Street view picture of an address they were able to get. In your case, the information they got was wrong. Delete the email and go on with your day. These are common scams that happen all the time and they do not have your contact information and your phone was not hacked.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 18, 2024 1:45 PM in response to Culwaydu

Actually they made a mistake. Normally they send a picture of your house. This information is readily available on the internet and yes it is a scam. The picture is a Google Street view picture of an address they were able to get. In your case, the information they got was wrong. Delete the email and go on with your day. These are common scams that happen all the time and they do not have your contact information and your phone was not hacked.

Oct 18, 2024 1:42 PM in response to Culwaydu

Hello~ In addition to the excellent information posted by *stedman1* and *Axel Foley * click on below and review…

Recognize and avoid social engineering schemes including phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

These scammers are criminals that try and frighten you into providing what they’re after…money.

~Katana-San~

Oct 18, 2024 1:27 PM in response to Culwaydu

Delete that email and nothing will happen. This is a scam. The author of that email wants you to believe that s/he has information on you that can be shared with the members of your contact list. The author will also ask for a ransom fee. The easiest way to deal with this scam is to delete the email. Nothing will happen. Your contacts are not hacked.

Axel F.

Contact List hacked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.