You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Aptx Bluetooth Audio support on Macbook pro M2 and Sonomo

I am trying to enable aptx support on my macbook so that I can get high quality audio for my bluetooth headset.

What I have tried already

1. Download Additional tools for XCode 11.4, tried opening Bluetooth explorer to set this up. But, it seems the app is not even opening on Sonomo on Macbook pro with M2 pro chip.
  2. Tried using the command -
sudo defaults write bluetoothaudiod "Enable AptX codec" -bool true

to enable aptx and verified the setting using

$ sudo defaults read bluetoothaudiod
Password:
{
  "Enable AptX codec" = 1;
}

But, the headphones are still using the AAC codec.

I see these messages on the console when I connect my headphone.

Length of AVDTP Codec Info is too short for Apple Vendor-Specific Codec
A2DP configured at 44.1 KHz. Codec: AAC-LC, VBR max: 256 kbps. 1 frames * (12+744) bytes = 756 per RTP (max=879) every 23.22 ms

The headphones that I use are Yamaha YH-L700a

Similar issue is already reported on the community without a resolution.

MacBook Pro (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on Oct 18, 2024 9:55 PM

1 reply

Oct 19, 2024 2:46 AM in response to amal_a

Your Yamaha YH-L700a would support AptX on your M2 MacBook Pro if Apple included AptX as a supported Bluetooth service. They did not. Here are the Bluetooth services available on my M2 Mac Mini Pro running Sequoia v15.0.1:

My Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones and WF-1000XM4 earbuds support AptX when paired with an Android phone, but not on macOS, iOS, or iPadOS as there is no AptX support, or means to overwrite the Bluetooth services with added AptX service support.

Aptx Bluetooth Audio support on Macbook pro M2 and Sonomo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.