You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Is it possible to download macOS updates to install later?

That's it . . . I want to simply download the update file to keep and use later. I don't want it to install until I am ready.

Can it be done and if so, how do I do it?

Mac mini, macOS 14.6

Posted on Oct 20, 2024 5:59 AM

4 replies

Oct 20, 2024 7:16 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Go to System Settings > General > Software Update.

Click the Information icon ⓘ to the right of Automatic updates.

Switch ON 'Check for updates'.

Switch ON 'Download new updates when available'.

Switch OFF 'Install macOS updates'.

Click 'Done' and then exit.

Your computer will download macOS updates but will not install them until you tell it to by selecting the update from the list of available updates that it presents later.

Oct 20, 2024 7:16 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

You absolutely don’t need to let macOS updates or upgrades install automatically. I believe there is an option to download only.

You can opt NOT TO install updates automatically. (And in the case you do so, for instance new macOS versions, why would you download if the idea is to wait and see ? That downloaded version may just take space for no reason and the update you will finally install might be different.

Oct 20, 2024 10:56 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I actually did what was suggested before posting my question and the download went ahead. After it had supposedly downloaded I got a message saying "Processing . . . 20 minutes". Some time later the progress bar was in exactly the same place as though it was stuck.

So I eventually aborted it.

However, the wording did give me the impression that it was going to automatically install if it hadn't stuck. I could be wrong. I may give it another go tomorrow.

Is it possible to download macOS updates to install later?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.