You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

referenced photos in iCloud for photos.app

Apple says that it's not possible to *automatically* transfer referenced photos to iCloud, so that they can be seen on other devices.

But is there any way to do it anyway, either manually or by programming anything ?

I would like my originals to stay on my mac, on external HD, that I could also access through other applications, such as Aperture or Capture One, and still have the benefit of a jpeg version being put on the cloud, so that I can see them through Photos on the web, and on my iDevices, including my Mac.

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 29, 2019 9:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2019 10:19 AM

To do what you want you'll need to consolidate your library and convert it to a managed library.

Read this user tip and seriously consider its message: Disadvantages of a Referenced Library in Photos for Mac

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 29, 2019 11:22 AM in response to HugoMe

No. Photos and Aperture use the same files on the hard drive that were in the Aperture library at the time of migration via hard links. However, from then on they are independent of one another. You would have to change the extension of the migrated library back to what it was before migration so it could be opened with Aperture.

Remember with the next operating system, 10.15, Aperture will be rendered useless. So you should begin to migrate to Photos (or some other DAM (digital asset management) app).

Unfortunately there are no DAM apps out there that can measure up to Aperture.

My preferred DAM was Media Pro SE but it's only 32 bit and is not scheduled to be upgraded to 64. So I'm learning to use Photos like I did MP. It's a learning curve but doable.

Apr 29, 2019 10:43 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you for the pointer to Leonie, always helpful. The post is a little old (2016) but I guess it still holds.

Basically what it says is that no, you can't have referenced photos in iCloud.

Then come the question to have it backwards and have other programs reference their photos from inside the Photos database, that would be managed from Photos's point of view, but referenced from theirs.

First I'm not sure I can do this, as currently Aperture is managing the whole and I am not sure I could keep all my current info while transferring it to Photos, (we're talking 30 000 pictures, tagged), ans still keep Aperture to manage my pics

Second, I don't think I can constraint Photos to put only compressed version to the cloud. Since I have 320 GB of pictures, that puts me in the 120 € / year plan, which is too much for the service.

Third this would also raise question to what do I do with the iPhone pictures that comes automatically in the Photos database from the cloud.

Fourth, I don't like the idea that something in the cloud could destroy my database. (for exemple inadvertently erasing pics on my iPhone)

I guess I have to keep going with my current workflow : having a scaled down version of my database duplicated for Photos, for consultation only.

Apr 29, 2019 10:57 AM in response to HugoMe

First I'm not sure I can do this, as currently Aperture is managing the whole and I am not sure I could keep all my current info while transferring it to Photos, (we're talking 30 000 pictures, tagged), ans still keep Aperture to manage my pics

If you were to consolidate your Aperature library and then run first aid on it before migrating to Photos you should have a full migration except for projects. They come over as albums. Your Aperature library will still be available to use with Aperture.

Second, I don't think I can constraint Photos to put only compressed version to the cloud.

The cloud only takes the full resolution versions.

Third this would also raise question to what do I do with the iPhone pictures that comes automatically in the Photos database from the cloud.

Can't help you there as I don't use iCloud Photos library.

Fourth, I don't like the idea that something in the cloud could destroy my database.

That's how the iCloud Photos Library is designed. It's a syncing service so any changed made to any device will be duplicated on all devices. It's not an off computer storage system.

Apr 29, 2019 11:12 AM in response to Old Toad

I believe point 2 is a no-go for me, but for the beauty of it, regarding point one, are you saying you can keep both Aperture and Photos use the same library (which would be referenced by Aperture, and managed by Photos), starting with an Aperture database at the beginning ? I thought Photos importing tool was exporting (and actually duplicating) the datas from Aperture.

Re: 4, I would like Photos more like a publishing service, potentially syncing data but with the masters not in the cloud but on my mac. I guess it does not play well with Apple strategy to extract money from services.

Apr 30, 2019 7:09 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for the detailed answer.

I just saw today that Aperture won't work in 10.15 because of the 32bits parts of the software, so , yeah , that's a problem.

So far I am exploring with CaptureOne (from the same PhaseOne who proposed Media Pro SE) which has an excellent raw editor, and a so-so DAM. (ergonomy is disappointing and gps editing is impossible)

I'm thinking of putting all aperture tags (gps, visage, rating, keywords) in the originals to access them in C1, which also come with an importing tool to keep the Aperture projects structure. And also to externalize the database (reference) so as to make the file structure reflect the project structure.

referenced photos in iCloud for photos.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.