You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

replacing macbook pro battery

My MacBook Pro keeps switching itself off and you can't turn it on unless it's plugged in, despite being fully charged. It switches off when it is plugged in as well. I am guessing that the battery is the issue although it doesn't seem to be draining. I've checked my battery cycle which tells me to Replace Now! I thought this model (2015) was supposed to have 1000 cycles, mine is on 382, can anyone tell me why it might need replacing already?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 1, 2019 4:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 1, 2019 6:08 AM

alittlesylva wrote:

My MacBook Pro keeps switching itself off and you can't turn it on unless it's plugged in, despite being fully charged. It switches off when it is plugged in as well. I am guessing that the battery is the issue although it doesn't seem to be draining. I've checked my battery cycle which tells me to Replace Now! I thought this model (2015) was supposed to have 1000 cycles, mine is on 382, can anyone tell me why it might need replacing already?

Not all batteries are the same. Yours has failed short of the expected.

Take it in In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"—

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

About Mac notebook batteries - Apple Support

Determine battery cycle count for Mac notebooks - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 1, 2019 6:08 AM in response to alittlesylva

alittlesylva wrote:

Not all batteries are the same. Yours has failed short of the expected.

Take it in In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"—

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

About Mac notebook batteries - Apple Support

Determine battery cycle count for Mac notebooks - Apple Support

May 1, 2019 9:58 AM in response to alittlesylva

I've checked my battery cycle which tells me to Replace Now!

Although that message probably means what it says, please read If your Mac doesn't sleep or wake when expected - Apple Support. Follow the steps under "If the previous steps don't work." I understand your Mac is spontaneously shutting down and not just going to sleep, but those steps are applicable to both circumstances.

replacing macbook pro battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.