You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restore edited photo

After editing a photo in Preview on Mojave and saving it, you are not asked to do a Save As. After saving you cannot restore the original photo anymore. An omission of Preview or am I doing something wrong?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 1, 2019 12:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 2, 2019 7:09 AM

I should have mentioned that you are missing something that VikingOSX hinted at. Preview has never claimed to do "lossless" editing like iPhoto, Photos or Aperture. It is a preview/viewer app with some light editing capabilities, not a DAM.

7 replies

May 2, 2019 7:14 AM in response to Zeilzwerver

Not as cumbersome as editing an only-copy of an image then wondering why the edits overwrote the original. I can not think of any situation where I would edit an original and only-copy of an image without first creating at least one copy of the original image. Regardless of device or app I don't understand why anyone would edit an image of which there was not at least one backup copy.

On a similar note, If you were writing a document or book and wanted to make changes, I hope you would first create a copy of the document or book prior to doing any editing. Working copies do get lost or corrupted.

restore edited photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.