You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to turn on iCloud Keychain

I'm having issues trying to enable iCloud Keychain on an iPhone 8 Plus. From Settings => Apple ID => iCloud => Keychain I'm switching it from Off to On, which stays like that (green) until I go back to the previous menu (i.e. iCloud), then I see the Keychain option being back to the Off state.

Anyone encountered anything like that?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on May 2, 2019 7:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 3, 2019 12:15 AM

I fixed this in quite a weird way. After turning Keychain on my Mac (same Apple ID) on and off several times with nothing changing on the iPhone as a result, I entered a password entry into the Mac's Keychain, and then forced my iPhone to sync with iCloud. I was then asked to enter my phone's passcode, and when I did the iCloud Keychain option was now set to 'On', and the entry entered on the Mac was synced over to my iPhone as well.

Thanks for the help, glad I managed to get this to work eventually.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 3, 2019 12:15 AM in response to Demo

I fixed this in quite a weird way. After turning Keychain on my Mac (same Apple ID) on and off several times with nothing changing on the iPhone as a result, I entered a password entry into the Mac's Keychain, and then forced my iPhone to sync with iCloud. I was then asked to enter my phone's passcode, and when I did the iCloud Keychain option was now set to 'On', and the entry entered on the Mac was synced over to my iPhone as well.

Thanks for the help, glad I managed to get this to work eventually.

May 2, 2019 7:15 AM in response to john_stevens

Next I would try turning WiFi off, restart the phone, turn WiFi on, and then try again. If that fails, try a forced restart.

In order to force restart, Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo. Let the phone start up and then try again.

Unable to turn on iCloud Keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.