You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoneX is not being charged in car via USB hub splitter

Hello,

I am trying to charge my IphoneX (same goes for IphoneXr/s) through car's

usb port while usb hub is being connected to it.

As a result, i have no connection nor charging.

Connecting directly using orig cable - works well.

I tested more then five different usb-hubs and all acts the same.

Note!

Iphone8 and Iphone8S and other cell phones do get charged via these usb

hubs.

Also, i am able to connect and charge the phone via usb-hub while connecting

it to a computer.

Could you please assist?

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on May 5, 2019 3:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 5, 2019 3:32 AM

USB hubs may have limited power available, and may not be accepted by all devices as valid charging supplies. Connect your phone direct to the car’s USB port using a genuine Apple cable, or give the phone its own dedicated charging power adapter, like https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HLRQ2ZM/A/belkin-usb-c-car-charger?fnode=97&fs=f%3Dadapter-charger%26fh%3D458e%252B45b0%252B45d4

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 5, 2019 3:32 AM in response to mkrakov

USB hubs may have limited power available, and may not be accepted by all devices as valid charging supplies. Connect your phone direct to the car’s USB port using a genuine Apple cable, or give the phone its own dedicated charging power adapter, like https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HLRQ2ZM/A/belkin-usb-c-car-charger?fnode=97&fs=f%3Dadapter-charger%26fh%3D458e%252B45b0%252B45d4

May 6, 2019 2:37 AM in response to mkrakov

You have already proved the failure to charge is due to the USB hub(s), and Apple support document https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201569 suggests a USB hub which can accept external power might work. I am not aware of any USB hubs which are designed to take external power from a car so this would probably be an unsupported and uncertified configuration using a third party 12v adapter to power your hub.

In my opinion there is no practical way to resolve the problem within an existing phone or software. If your iPhone requires more power than your USB hub can provide or it does not work with an uncertified third party charging configuration, that is not something Apple can resolve.

It appears Apple may be moving toward USB-C to replace Lightning so we will have to wait and see what appears in the next generations of iPhone, but it seems unlikely they will see a commercial reason to develop a (12v) car-powered hub for legacy USB applications. However, you can submit wishlist entries at https://www.apple.com/feedback/

May 5, 2019 3:37 PM in response to mkrakov

I would still go with a standalone charger, at least for testing to prove the point and also as a backup if other methods leave you with a depleted battery while on the road.

Why does this hit the latest models? Maybe because they are capable of drawing more power while charging, so they are more likely to notice a low powered charging supply. I may be wrong... is it iPhone X and later can fast charge using Apple’s higher power USB-C adapters? (I know my XS can do it). This might have required some logic changes to detect different charger capability and the USB hub is confusing the phone.

May 6, 2019 1:26 AM in response to Branta_uk

Charging the phone via PWR adapter from lighting work well.

Connection via cable directly to USB port works well.

Connection via usb_hub to USB port doesnt work.

As i see it, it a major limitation that need to be addressed.

The flagship line of newest phones cannot behave like a rack, if it so sensitive to IR/V drops then it must be addressed inside the phone or to supply a suitable USB data+charger hub.

Lighting charger is not a solution cause it doesn't have data capabilities.

iphoneX is not being charged in car via USB hub splitter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.