You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to keep all lines/sentences within the indented paragraph.

I hop this makes sense... When I created an indented paragraph in a pages document and then want to add something to it, it always pushes the next line back out to the left margin. Then I have to go along and hit enter/tab for the rest of the lines to get them back in line so they're all indented.

How do I stop this from happening? I just want to add text and have the indented paragraph remain indented!

Thanks kindly!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 11, 2019 7:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 11, 2019 9:34 PM

Hi DC,

Do you mean a paragraph that

looks like this one, with the

first line hanging out to the

left, and the rest aligned to

a mark not as far left?

Or do you want a

paragraph with an indented

first line, and and the rest

aligned to the left margin set

for the document?

The first of these is called a 'hanging indent.' The first line of each paragraph 'hangs out' to the left of the rest of the paragraph.

The second 'par'agraph shows a 'normal' indent, with the first line indented, and the rest of the paragraph aligned to the left margin set for the document.

For a 'normal" indent, set the left margin stop as far left on the ruler as possible, then drag the 'first line' left stop 0.4 inches or 1 cm to the right:

For a hanging indent, reverse the settings. Drag both stops to the position you want all lines except the first of each paragraph to begin (1.4" in my example). then drag the 'First line left stop' left to the margin set for the document (1" in my example).

Pressing the return key inserts a Paragraph Break. The line after that break will start at the point determined by the 'First line left stop." Subsequent lines will be aligned to the Left Margin Stop. When the next return is typed, it ends one paragraph. The first line typed after the return will begin in the position set for the First Line of a paragraph.

Regards,

Barry

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 11, 2019 9:34 PM in response to DCFoster1

Hi DC,

Do you mean a paragraph that

looks like this one, with the

first line hanging out to the

left, and the rest aligned to

a mark not as far left?

Or do you want a

paragraph with an indented

first line, and and the rest

aligned to the left margin set

for the document?

The first of these is called a 'hanging indent.' The first line of each paragraph 'hangs out' to the left of the rest of the paragraph.

The second 'par'agraph shows a 'normal' indent, with the first line indented, and the rest of the paragraph aligned to the left margin set for the document.

For a 'normal" indent, set the left margin stop as far left on the ruler as possible, then drag the 'first line' left stop 0.4 inches or 1 cm to the right:

For a hanging indent, reverse the settings. Drag both stops to the position you want all lines except the first of each paragraph to begin (1.4" in my example). then drag the 'First line left stop' left to the margin set for the document (1" in my example).

Pressing the return key inserts a Paragraph Break. The line after that break will start at the point determined by the 'First line left stop." Subsequent lines will be aligned to the Left Margin Stop. When the next return is typed, it ends one paragraph. The first line typed after the return will begin in the position set for the First Line of a paragraph.

Regards,

Barry

May 15, 2019 5:59 PM in response to Barry

Thanks so much Barry! It was a hanging indent I was referring to... when I onset a longer quote. I moved the two blue arrows at the top of the screen on the ruler (the left on to the .4 position and the right one to the end of the sentences. I'm not sure if that's what you meant but it worked- so thank you!

I've never heard of a tab stop before so I'm going to go read up on them!

Take care,

David

May 15, 2019 7:38 PM in response to DCFoster1

The two arrows you are talking about (I think) are actually the text margins.

Tab stops, there are 4 different kinds which look different (left, right, centred, decimal), appear between those margins.

The left margin marker splits into two. The top flat bar sets the first line indent, the bottom down pointing triangle sets the indent for the entire paragraph.

Play with the margins on the ruler and various tab stops, double click on the ruler then right click on the tab that appears, to see what they all do.

Explore to learn. :)

How to keep all lines/sentences within the indented paragraph.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.