You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages crashing

Every time I open Messages I get the following message:

"There was a problem with Messages. You need to quit and open Messages again."

If I try two or three times Messages will finally open and works fine until I close it again.

How do I fix this?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 14, 2019 8:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 14, 2019 9:13 AM

The first thing you could try is booting in Safe Mode, when starting hold down the shift key. It takes a little long to get to the login screen but just wait and when at desktop give it a minute then close down, this process carries out some general housekeeping that may sort out certain issues.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Atbalsts

If that fails you could try signing out of Messages, Restart and then sign back in, this discussion explains how.

I need to sign out of iMessage on my Mac.… - Apple Community

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 14, 2019 9:13 AM in response to cmmary

The first thing you could try is booting in Safe Mode, when starting hold down the shift key. It takes a little long to get to the login screen but just wait and when at desktop give it a minute then close down, this process carries out some general housekeeping that may sort out certain issues.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Atbalsts

If that fails you could try signing out of Messages, Restart and then sign back in, this discussion explains how.

I need to sign out of iMessage on my Mac.… - Apple Community

Messages crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.