You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clicking to add song to library but isn't adding

This problem just started for me today. I was browsing songs and found a few I wanted to add to my library through my Apple Music subscription. I clicked on the + sign by the song and instead of t+ sign turning to the cloud symbol like it normally does, a blank pop-up comes up. Sometimes, if I am trying to do this from the "For You" section, it will do the same thing but then divert me to the "Browse" section. The only thing I was able to do was click on the "..." (for options drop down) and click "add to playlist" and will add to a playlist but will not add to my library at all (confirmed by checking my library). I have restarted my computer, turned iTunes on and off and issue continued to happen. I may need to run an update, however I have needed for the last few weeks and has been working fine. I am trying all this and typing this question in from a Starbucks and wonder if I was home using my internet if it would do the same, but I am at Starbucks multiple times a week and this never happens. The "!" alert shows up and says, "adding item to library" and in smaller print "canceled" so for some reason the attempt to add to library was cancelled. Also, all my other songs that have been added to my library using Apple Music is working and not having issues playing them.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 18, 2019 3:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 18, 2019 5:22 PM

Hi. I had this problem too. Try opening iTunes on your iPhone or iOS device and add a random song from Apple Music. If you have the same issue I had, you'll probably be asked to agree to new Terms and Conditions. Once you do that, go back to iTunes on your Mac, restart the program, and then add a song.

12 replies

May 28, 2019 10:38 AM in response to CheowLin

I had this problem... I was able to add a song to my library from my phone but now when I attempt to add a song from iTunes clicking the "plus" sign literally does nothng. No blank window, no error message. The only indication that I clicked is the blue color of the button fades a few shades.

• Rebooted computer
  • Reauthorized computer
  • logged out of iTunes

Starting to rethink my sub.

May 26, 2019 7:48 PM in response to rob_zeteo

Thank you so much for posting this solution! I was having difficulty with iTunes on my Mid-2012 MacBook Pro, and, sure enough, when I tried adding something to iTunes on my iPhone, it prompted me to approve new Apple Music Terms and Conditions. Once I'd done that, the problem with iTunes on my MacBook Pro cleared up. I don't know why... but it worked. Thanks!

May 28, 2019 3:16 PM in response to rob_zeteo

I finally fixed this issue. I do not have iOS/macOS device. Windows 8.1. x64. Region: Japan.

1) Activate an option "Add songs to your Library when you add them to playlists".

2) Choose a song that is not in your Library.

3) Choose an option "Add to Playlist". You can add a song to any of your playlists or create a new playlist.

4) The chosen song will be added to a Library.

5) Choose another song that is not in your Library.

6) Choose an option "Add to Library".

7) 'Terms & Conditions' will appear and you will be able to accept them.

Clicking to add song to library but isn't adding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.