You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie will deny to work in 4k

Hi,

I am desperately trying to convince iMovie to work in 4K Mode.

I first started with a video from my Fuji camera, but as this did not work, I took a very short clip on my iPhone in 4k.

I restarted a new mediathek with just the video from the iPhone. I have this video in 2 codecs (Apple ProRes 422, Linear PCM and H.264,AAC). Both videos are recognized in the finder as being 4K videos.

I restarted a new project in iMovie twice and imported first the H264 version and later the ProRes version. Still iMovie will only work in 1080p...

What am I missing? I am using a iMac from 2015 with an i5, is that the problem? I read on some pages you'll need an i7 to get iMovie working in 4K.

Hope someone has a clue here....

Thx

dmkim

Posted on May 19, 2019 12:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 19, 2019 1:00 PM

iMovie supports 4K at 30 fps frame rate, but not at 60 fps. Is that your situation?

If you are using 4K at 30 fps and it's not working, try restarting your computer and opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your preferences.

Also, make sure that the 4K clip you are using is the first clip added to a newly created project. That will set the project at 4K.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 19, 2019 1:00 PM in response to dmpkim

iMovie supports 4K at 30 fps frame rate, but not at 60 fps. Is that your situation?

If you are using 4K at 30 fps and it's not working, try restarting your computer and opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your preferences.

Also, make sure that the 4K clip you are using is the first clip added to a newly created project. That will set the project at 4K.

-- Rich

iMovie will deny to work in 4k

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.