You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac-Auto-Fixer Database Updated ongoing pop-up

I've looked allover the Internet... You are my last resource, so PLEASE help!

This is becoming a serious issue, as I'm now getting the "Mac-Auto-Fixer Database Updated" pop-up once every minute. The pop-up lasts about 5 seconds. I have searched this community as well, but nothing seems to be fixing this issue.

• As far as 3rd party programs: Some posts here are suggesting to use of a 3rd party program such as Komros and similar, but then there are other posts suggesting that those programs are dangerous. So, what should I do?

• Please note that I have already removed the "Mac Auto Fixer" app long time ago and searched allover the library and found nothing.

• Also, please note that awhile back I was having issues with my browser, as my Safari and Chrome were both automatically switching to Bing browser. On Safari this issue was resolved after upgrading to High Sierra.

• My MacBook is from the late 2011, currently running macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6

• The Activity Monitor shows 2 (TWO) "maftask" and "man-task" processes that will not shut down even after using force quit million times.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Posted on May 19, 2019 4:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 19, 2019 4:54 PM

Download and run Malwarebytes which was created by one of the top and most respected contributors here in the ASC. You can use the free version to clean out that adware.

You may have to boot into Safe Mode to get the background processes to stop.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 19, 2019 4:54 PM in response to JI808

Download and run Malwarebytes which was created by one of the top and most respected contributors here in the ASC. You can use the free version to clean out that adware.

You may have to boot into Safe Mode to get the background processes to stop.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing.

May 19, 2019 4:54 PM in response to JI808

Try Etrecheck. It was developed by one of the contributors here. It will likely find the orphaned parts that didn't get removed.

If you don't want to use anything, look in your user Library/LaunchAgents or the /Library/LaunchDaemons or /Library/LaunchAgents or in your user Login Items (Users & Groups system prefs).

In the launchd folders, you are looking for something like com.somecompany.macautofixer.plist.

May 19, 2019 5:24 PM in response to Old Toad

Sorry, I meant to respond to this message, but I accidentally replied to the one below.

At any rate, just wanted to let you know that the app you suggested seems like it did remove the pop-up. At the present time it doesn't seem like there are any other issues.

So for the time being, thank you so much for your help.

Warm regards :)

Mac-Auto-Fixer Database Updated ongoing pop-up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.