You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchased Apps Was Not Restored After Restoring from Backup

When I bought my new iPhone, it was with the assumption that my old iPhone's ENTIRE data would be duplicated EXACTLY into the new iPhone. That means I assumed the backup would restore everything like nothing else happened except that I now have a better hardware.

Unfortunately, Apple has a different idea of what "Restore from Backup..." actually means. Instead of SIMPLY COPYING AND PASTING ALL of my apps, purchased and free, into the new iPhone, Apple forced me to download the newest versions of those apps, and guess what, some of those apps are no longer available in the App Store.

I HAD ALREADY PURCHASED SOME OF THOSE APPS, so it should not matter whether the developer later decided to make them unavailable after my purchase. I don't care whether I have old versions of my purchased apps, as long as they're still usable and compatible with the iOS.

My purchased apps are now MERELY ICONS that I could not use!

I repeat, I HAD PAID FOR THEM, so WHY DID APPLE DECIDE NOT TO COPY THE ACTUAL APP WHEN BACKING UP, AND JUST COPIED THE APP NAME AND ICON?

It's so stupid, and the backup is NOT as useful as it SHOULD BE. I have ALL THE SPACE IN THE WORLD on my laptop to store AS MANY APP BACKUPS AS POSSIBLE.

The restore process SHOULD COPY THE ENTIRE OLD PHONE INTO THE NEW ONE. It should be SEAMLESS.

I can't even find the developer's website now. This "Restore from Backup" is a JOKE!

Any helpful suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thank you very much.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12

Posted on May 20, 2019 9:23 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

May 20, 2019 12:04 PM in response to Altamirana

For more info about what is being backed up see About backups for iOS devices - Apple Support

"iCloud backups don't include:

• Data that's already stored in iCloud, like Contacts, Calendars, Notes, iCloud Photos, iMessages, Voice Memos, text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages, and Health data*
  • Data stored in other cloud services, like Gmail and Exchange mail
  • Apple Mail data
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Face ID or Touch ID settings
  • iCloud Music Library and App Store content (If it's still available in the iTunes, App, or Apple Books store, you can tap to re-download your already purchased content.)"

May 20, 2019 11:38 AM in response to Altamirana

Managing apps using iTunes from a computer became impractical with the introduction of app thinning. That functionality was removed from iTunes several years ago.

Prior to its removal, after the restore was complete, the apps would be re-installed from iTunes. Now, they will be re-downloaded from the app store when the data has finished restoring.

May 20, 2019 11:32 AM in response to Altamirana

You do not purchase a piece of software nor a particular release of a software. You purchase a limited use license for a developers software. And that developer can indeed, quite legally, choose to stop supporting their app, or any particular version of their app, whenever they choose to for whatever reason they decide. It’s in the terms of the license you purchased when you downloaded and paid for the software.

Legal - Licensed Application End User License Agreement - Apple

Apple has never included installers for apps in iTunes nor iCloud backups. Doing so would make most people’s backups huge, well beyond the default free 5GB iCloud account storage allocation. And they removed the ability to manage Apps in iTunes some time ago now. Even when it was available, many people never kept copies of their app’s installers again because of the disc space it required to do so.

May 20, 2019 11:59 AM in response to Altamirana

Pointers to the apps in the app store are a part of your backup. If after a few days from restoring from backup and having device connected to wifi and power issue still persisted, then it might be that something went wrong with the process and trying again would be the solution.

If this was right after restoring then it is likely that apps, and other data, was still being restored and waiting would have been the solution.

Have a look at this support articles for more info:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

"Content like your apps, photos, music, and other information will continue to restore in the background for the next several hours or days, depending on the amount of information there is. Try to connect often to Wi-Fi and power to let the process complete."

iCloud: Restore or set up iOS devices from an iCloud backup - Apple Support

"Your settings and accounts are restored from the iCloud backup you chose. Your device restarts and begins downloading your purchased music, movies, TV shows, apps, books, photos, and other content. If your device can’t download the version of an app that was backed up, it downloads the latest version."

I hope this helps

May 20, 2019 9:30 AM in response to Altamirana

Apps have never been part of the backup. They must be re-downloaded from the app store (in app data is included in the backup at the discretion of the app developer). They will be re-downloaded as the final step in the restore process.

Your assumption was incorrect.

If the developer has withdrawn the app from the app store, there is nothing Apple can do about that.

May 20, 2019 11:18 AM in response to KiltedTim

Hi, KiltedTim! Thank you for your response.

I remember that many years ago, we used to be able to download and install apps into our phones using iTunes.

Restoring from a backup meant that everything is restored, including the apps. I remember that on our computers, there’s a folder containing all of our iOS apps. When I tried looking for that folder, it’s no longer there.

Thank you very much.

Purchased Apps Was Not Restored After Restoring from Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.