You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari problems

For the past week or so, Safari has been Inconsistent, if that's the right term, on my Mac mini which is running Mojave 10.14.4. Sometimes Safari will not even launch. I know it is not my internet connection because I can use Safari on iPad and iPhone. When Safari does launch, it will work for a while (maybe an hour) and then just stop working. I have cleared the history and cookies and tried force quitting, restarting and force restarting. Mostly, it works again after a restart but doesn't work for very long. What's up with this?

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 20, 2019 2:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 20, 2019 3:07 PM

Interesting. There's certainly nothing very taxing about Safari that would require a restart to use it. If I were to wager, there's a 3rd-party app or extension that's getting in the way.

Try starting with this: If Safari is slow, stops responding, quits unexpectedly, or has other issues - Apple Support

If that doesn't work, try this: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 20, 2019 3:07 PM in response to etroessner

Interesting. There's certainly nothing very taxing about Safari that would require a restart to use it. If I were to wager, there's a 3rd-party app or extension that's getting in the way.

Try starting with this: If Safari is slow, stops responding, quits unexpectedly, or has other issues - Apple Support

If that doesn't work, try this: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

May 20, 2019 5:44 PM in response to etroessner

You may  have adware/malware installed. Try downloading this program which was written by Thomas R, a long time poster. The program will search for malware/adware The program will do the work for you which makes it easy. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After running the scans, restart the computer.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac      10.10 and later

Malwarebytes uninstall

May 21, 2019 2:28 PM in response to reboot it

Thanks for your quick response, reboot it. When I went to safari extensions I found something called "Mix Builder" which a quick search revealed was some kind of adware or malware. I deleted it. So far, safari has been ok, but it's only been less than an hour since I deleted Mix Builder so I'm not sure what will happen over time. I'm betting that was the problem only because no other extensions were shown and there were no unknown apps in my applications folder. Thanks again for your help.

May 27, 2019 2:34 PM in response to reboot it

Hi.  I just wanted to update you on my problems with Safari.  The solution you proposed and I tried did not work for long.  So I proceeded to download Malware Bytes as Eric Root suggested and you suggested as a second possibility.  Unfortunately, Malware Bytes disabled the antivirus app I already had on my mac.  I did not realize the app I had detected adware.  Long story short, I had to contact tech support to get things fixed.  They told me that adding an antivirus app can result in disabling any antivirus app already have.  I wanted you to know this can happen so that in the future you can decide whether to add to your advice that having more than one antivirus app may cause a problem.

May 27, 2019 2:38 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi.  I just wanted to update you on my problems with Safari.  The solution Reboot It proposed and I tried did not work for long.  So I proceeded to download Malwarebytes as you suggested and Reboot It suggested as a second possibility.  Unfortunately, Malwarebytes disabled the antivirus app I already had on my mac.  I did not realize the app I had detected adware.  Long story short, I had to contact tech support to get things fixed.  They told me that adding an antivirus app can result in disabling any antivirus app you already have.  I wanted you to know this can happen so that in the future you can decide whether to add to your advice that having more than one antivirus app may cause a problem.

May 28, 2019 8:25 AM in response to etroessner

Ah, ok. That makes a lot of sense. It's not terribly common for me to run into Mac users with anti-virus programs (the structure of the security in macOS and the frequent security updates make it less necessary). Not a terrible thing to have installed, but it is one of those things that you should consider checking if things start getting funky.

Thanks for the update!

safari problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.