You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime Not Working

So today I tried to FaceTime my friend. It's always worked for me and I've never had issues with calling in the past. When we connect I can see and hear them, but they see a black screen and can't hear anything. I've tried turning speaker phone and camera on and off to no avail. I restarted my phone and internet but this also didn't work. After I tried calling on my MacBook Air, my friend could see and hear fine for only a few seconds where it said it was reconnecting and they could no longer see or hear me. If I call normally it works perfectly.

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on May 24, 2019 6:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 25, 2019 11:56 AM

Hi Lokidiscool,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're having trouble with the FaceTime connection on your iPhone and when you tested on your Mac you encountered similar behavior. I know how important it is to connect with friends and family using FaceTime on your devices; I'd like to help. Since you mention this behavior is occurring on both your Mac and iPhone, it's possible there's an underlying issue with your Wi-Fi connection, even though you've restarted your modem or router. I'd suggest trying to make a FaceTime call using only a strong cellular connection to see if there's a difference, then take a look at the information below:

"If you can't make or receive FaceTime calls

If none of the above reasons apply to you, and you still can't make or receive FaceTime calls, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that your device has a Wi-Fi connection to the Internet or a cellular-data connection.
    2. Learn more if you're using router, firewall, or security software that restricts Internet access. 
    3. If you're trying to use FaceTime over cellular, make sure that Use Cellular Data is on for FaceTime. Go to Settings and tap Cellular or tap Mobile Data, then turn on FaceTime. If you're using an iPad, you might see Settings > Cellular Data.
    4. Go to Settings > FaceTime and make sure that FaceTime is on. 
      • If you see "Waiting for Activation," turn FaceTime off and then on again. Learn what to do if you can't activate FaceTime.
      • If you don't see the FaceTime setting, make sure that Camera and FaceTime aren't off in Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Allowed Apps.
      • Make sure that you have the correct phone number or email address listed. 
    1. Go to Settings > General > Date & Time and turn on Set Automatically.
    2. Restart your device.
    3. Update your device to the latest version of iOS.

If you have connection or sound quality issues with FaceTime

If your cellular connection or Wi-Fi network are running slow, or other users are streaming audio or video on the same Wi-Fi network, you might have these issues:

• Connection alerts or unable to connect
    • Choppy video calls
    • Black screen
    • Dropped calls

Make sure that both you and the person that you're calling are using a fast Wi-Fi or cellular connection. If you’re using Wi-Fi, FaceTime requires a broadband connection."

If you can't make a FaceTime call on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

"If your camera or microphone doesn’t work

One of these solutions might help:

• Quit FaceTime, then open FaceTime again. 
    • Restart your Mac (Apple menu > Restart).
    • Make sure that FaceTime isn't open, then see if your camera works in another application, such as Photo Booth. If it doesn't, you know that the issue isn't related to FaceTime.
    • If you have multiple cameras or microphones connected to your Mac, check the Video menu in the FaceTime menu bar to make sure that you have the correct camera and microphone selected.

If you need help with your connection or call quality

A slow or busy Wi-Fi network might cause issues with your FaceTime call. If you experience connection alerts or low-quality audio or video:

• Make sure that you and your recipient have a fast Wi-Fi or cellular connection. FaceTime calls over Wi-Fi require a broadband connection.
    • Check for issues that might be slowing down your connection, such as someone streaming content over your network.
    • If you have questions about your Internet speed, contact your Internet service provider."

If FaceTime isn't working on your Mac

It's also possible there is a connection issue on your friends side since you're able to see and hear them without issue; I'd suggest having them test using cellular only and reset their wireless connections as well.

Best Regards.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 25, 2019 11:56 AM in response to Lokidiscool

Hi Lokidiscool,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're having trouble with the FaceTime connection on your iPhone and when you tested on your Mac you encountered similar behavior. I know how important it is to connect with friends and family using FaceTime on your devices; I'd like to help. Since you mention this behavior is occurring on both your Mac and iPhone, it's possible there's an underlying issue with your Wi-Fi connection, even though you've restarted your modem or router. I'd suggest trying to make a FaceTime call using only a strong cellular connection to see if there's a difference, then take a look at the information below:

"If you can't make or receive FaceTime calls

If none of the above reasons apply to you, and you still can't make or receive FaceTime calls, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that your device has a Wi-Fi connection to the Internet or a cellular-data connection.
    2. Learn more if you're using router, firewall, or security software that restricts Internet access. 
    3. If you're trying to use FaceTime over cellular, make sure that Use Cellular Data is on for FaceTime. Go to Settings and tap Cellular or tap Mobile Data, then turn on FaceTime. If you're using an iPad, you might see Settings > Cellular Data.
    4. Go to Settings > FaceTime and make sure that FaceTime is on. 
      • If you see "Waiting for Activation," turn FaceTime off and then on again. Learn what to do if you can't activate FaceTime.
      • If you don't see the FaceTime setting, make sure that Camera and FaceTime aren't off in Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Allowed Apps.
      • Make sure that you have the correct phone number or email address listed. 
    1. Go to Settings > General > Date & Time and turn on Set Automatically.
    2. Restart your device.
    3. Update your device to the latest version of iOS.

If you have connection or sound quality issues with FaceTime

If your cellular connection or Wi-Fi network are running slow, or other users are streaming audio or video on the same Wi-Fi network, you might have these issues:

• Connection alerts or unable to connect
    • Choppy video calls
    • Black screen
    • Dropped calls

Make sure that both you and the person that you're calling are using a fast Wi-Fi or cellular connection. If you’re using Wi-Fi, FaceTime requires a broadband connection."

If you can't make a FaceTime call on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

"If your camera or microphone doesn’t work

One of these solutions might help:

• Quit FaceTime, then open FaceTime again. 
    • Restart your Mac (Apple menu > Restart).
    • Make sure that FaceTime isn't open, then see if your camera works in another application, such as Photo Booth. If it doesn't, you know that the issue isn't related to FaceTime.
    • If you have multiple cameras or microphones connected to your Mac, check the Video menu in the FaceTime menu bar to make sure that you have the correct camera and microphone selected.

If you need help with your connection or call quality

A slow or busy Wi-Fi network might cause issues with your FaceTime call. If you experience connection alerts or low-quality audio or video:

• Make sure that you and your recipient have a fast Wi-Fi or cellular connection. FaceTime calls over Wi-Fi require a broadband connection.
    • Check for issues that might be slowing down your connection, such as someone streaming content over your network.
    • If you have questions about your Internet speed, contact your Internet service provider."

If FaceTime isn't working on your Mac

It's also possible there is a connection issue on your friends side since you're able to see and hear them without issue; I'd suggest having them test using cellular only and reset their wireless connections as well.

Best Regards.

FaceTime Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.