You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer all data and apps from an old iMac to a new iMac

I just purchased a new 27" iMac and I want to transfer all my data and apps from my existing iMac. What options do I have and which one do you recommend. I have been backing up my data to iCloud.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 29, 2019 12:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 29, 2019 12:46 PM

You can't back up a Mac to iCloud...

Migration Assistant is the easiest way to transfer apps and data. It's probably fastest to connect your Time Machine backup drive to do that if you've been using Time Machine. Next would be an Ethernet cable connected to both machines.

2 replies

May 29, 2019 1:06 PM in response to TSanne

Kilted Tim is spot on, connect your Time Machine or bootable clone EHD via a USB cable and launch Migration Assistant and follow the on-screen prompts. You will find Migration Assistant in Applications - Utilities - Migration Assistant.

Personally I don't like connecting via an Ethernet cable due to high failure rates, using Time Machine or a bootable clone works every time if connected via USB. NEVER EVER use Wi-Fi with Migration Assistant, it will take weeks (this is not a joke) and will fail every time.

How to transfer all data and apps from an old iMac to a new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.