You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music v. iTunes Match

Two questions:

1. Does the Apple Music subscription include iTunes Match and/or provide DRM-free downloads?
  2. Relatedly, will my iTunes Match iCloud Music Library automatically transfer to Apple Music’s iCloud Music Library if I subscribe to Apple Music?

A little background: 99.9% of my music files are backed up to the iTunes Match iCloud Music Library and an external hard drive. Because the amount of data is so large, I don’t keep the files saved locally on my computer and would like to avoid doing so if I switch over to Apple Music, which I am contemplating as iTunes is rumored to be ending and it’s unclear what that may mean for iTunes Match.

Posted on Jun 1, 2019 5:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2019 7:35 PM

Does the Apple Music subscription include iTunes Match and/or provide DRM-free downloads?

No. Apple Music will match but you do not ever get title to the music.

99.9% of my music files are backed up to the iTunes Match iCloud Music Library

You should not consider iTunes Match as a backup of your music. Apple does not promote it as such.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 1, 2019 7:35 PM in response to AppAnon

Does the Apple Music subscription include iTunes Match and/or provide DRM-free downloads?

No. Apple Music will match but you do not ever get title to the music.

99.9% of my music files are backed up to the iTunes Match iCloud Music Library

You should not consider iTunes Match as a backup of your music. Apple does not promote it as such.

Apple Music v. iTunes Match

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.