You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How will I add music to my iTunes library (I do not want to do any streaming)

I do not wish to 'rent' music by joining any streaming service. I like buying my music and saving it on my devices (especially as I travel a lot).

If iTunes is going away, how will I be able to add new song to my iTunes library??

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 3, 2019 2:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2019 2:41 PM

JenSheaVA wrote:

I do not wish to 'rent' music by joining any streaming service. I like buying my music and saving it on my devices (especially as I travel a lot).

If iTunes is going away, how will I be able to add new song to my iTunes library??

iTunes is NOT going away. The iTunes Store is NOT shutting down. All Apple did was split up the iTunes features into three different apps and move syncing directly to the Finder. There is no indication that you will have to do anything differently than you've been doing it.

Yes, it's rather confusing that the music parts of iTunes will be called Music (just like it is on iOS devices). But, you still don't have to have an Apple Music subscription if you don't want on.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 3, 2019 2:41 PM in response to JenSheaVA

JenSheaVA wrote:

iTunes is NOT going away. The iTunes Store is NOT shutting down. All Apple did was split up the iTunes features into three different apps and move syncing directly to the Finder. There is no indication that you will have to do anything differently than you've been doing it.

Yes, it's rather confusing that the music parts of iTunes will be called Music (just like it is on iOS devices). But, you still don't have to have an Apple Music subscription if you don't want on.

Jun 3, 2019 2:59 PM in response to lederermc

Apple are quoted in this page

https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/03/apple-announces-macos-catalina/

as saying:

'The new Music app for Mac is lightning fast, fun and easy to use. Apple Music will help users discover great new music with over 50 million songs, playlists and music videos. And users will have access to their entire music library, whether they downloaded the songs, purchased them or ripped them from a CD. For those who like to own their music, the iTunes Music Store is just a click away.'

How will I add music to my iTunes library (I do not want to do any streaming)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.