You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to access Recovery mode in 2008 Macbook Pro running OS X

Hi all -

I have an older Macbook Pro that I want to recycle and must erase my hard drive. I cannot remember the login password on the machine (I have not used it for many years) and cannot seem to get the machine to reboot in recovery mode. I have tried the usual suggestions multiple times (ie., Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button), but the machine refuses to enter recovery mode and continues to restart with the login page prompt.

Does anyone have an idea about whats going on and/or what else I can try? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Posted on Jun 3, 2019 6:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2019 6:46 PM

On computers before about 2011 models, the ONLY Recovery was from Recovery HD -- a separate partition on the drive after you installed 10.7 or later. Internet Recovery (which is in the computer's ROM) was not available before that.

An alternative is to boot from any Installer DVD and use its Disk Utility (typically chosen off a Utilities menu BEFORE you start the Install.

Another alternative is to boot from an external drive with MacOS on it and use its Disk Utility to erase the 2008 model disk.

Another alternative is to use Target Disk Mode from another Mac connected with a high-speed cable such as a FireWire cable. the ability to act as a Target Disk is implemented in the computer's ROM< so the drive is available to be initialized.

--------

it is really awkward to receive a Macintosh computer with NO MacOS on it. It would be kind to put some version of MacOS (ANY version) back on the drive. even better would be 10.6.8 or later.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 3, 2019 6:46 PM in response to Dr. John Caffaro

On computers before about 2011 models, the ONLY Recovery was from Recovery HD -- a separate partition on the drive after you installed 10.7 or later. Internet Recovery (which is in the computer's ROM) was not available before that.

An alternative is to boot from any Installer DVD and use its Disk Utility (typically chosen off a Utilities menu BEFORE you start the Install.

Another alternative is to boot from an external drive with MacOS on it and use its Disk Utility to erase the 2008 model disk.

Another alternative is to use Target Disk Mode from another Mac connected with a high-speed cable such as a FireWire cable. the ability to act as a Target Disk is implemented in the computer's ROM< so the drive is available to be initialized.

--------

it is really awkward to receive a Macintosh computer with NO MacOS on it. It would be kind to put some version of MacOS (ANY version) back on the drive. even better would be 10.6.8 or later.

How to access Recovery mode in 2008 Macbook Pro running OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.