You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reclaim excess space consumed by other storage on iphone

I'm using iphone 6s with 16GB memory. So I have subscribed for icloud storage assuming, I can move photos to cloud (which consumes most of the space) and I can use iphone storage for installing more apps. But to my bad, other storage has consumed all of my remaining storage. Among 16GB, system is consuming 11.96GB of space.

It's Apple brand, and expected such silly problems should never be present. I don't want solutions like following:

• Reset the phone. Thats too blunt approach. As other space gets filled within a month.
  • Offload apps to cloud. Already done. Hardly using 5 apps paytm, uber, gmail, maps. Almost all other apps are offloaded.
  • Increase your icloud storage. I dont' want to do that. I've already subscribed for 50GB. That should suffice for me.

There are thousands of such above suggestions. But didn't find explanation about why is this problem and how to solve this permanently.

When there are thousands of threads discussing the same, where apple support doesn't have any good solution mentioned on their website?

Does ios really requires this much of space? If not how can I reclaim the space consumed by other storage? Please suggest a permanent solution.

iPhone 6s, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 5, 2019 1:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2019 2:18 PM

Hello, scvikram.

Thank you for reaching out to us here in Communities. From what I'm reading you have two concerns, one with high system storage and the other dealing with "Other". I got some information that may help you. To start with the large amount in System for storage, make sure you're updated on your iPhone. iOS 12.2 addressed this issue. About iOS 12 Updates

"Addresses an issue in Settings > General > iPhone Storage where the storage size of some large apps, the System category, and the Other category in the storage bar graph could be incorrect".

Next, this article can help break down your storage and what is contained in "Other": How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 5, 2019 2:18 PM in response to scvikram

Hello, scvikram.

Thank you for reaching out to us here in Communities. From what I'm reading you have two concerns, one with high system storage and the other dealing with "Other". I got some information that may help you. To start with the large amount in System for storage, make sure you're updated on your iPhone. iOS 12.2 addressed this issue. About iOS 12 Updates

"Addresses an issue in Settings > General > iPhone Storage where the storage size of some large apps, the System category, and the Other category in the storage bar graph could be incorrect".

Next, this article can help break down your storage and what is contained in "Other": How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers!

How to reclaim excess space consumed by other storage on iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.