You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are Photos stored?

I want to back up my Photos collection on Time Machine but I don't know exactly how to do it. I back up the Desktop and Documents file, where are photos stored? Can you help? Thanx.

Posted on Jun 6, 2019 12:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2019 8:39 AM

Hello Kenneth,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you would like to locate where your photos are stored, and backup your library in Photos using Time Machine. I would be happy to help provide more information about this process.

Here's a resource that could help:

Back up the library in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

To see where your photos are stored, follow the steps here:

Change where your files are stored in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Take care!

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 7, 2019 8:39 AM in response to kennethfromfortbragg

Hello Kenneth,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you would like to locate where your photos are stored, and backup your library in Photos using Time Machine. I would be happy to help provide more information about this process.

Here's a resource that could help:

Back up the library in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

To see where your photos are stored, follow the steps here:

Change where your files are stored in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Take care!

Jun 7, 2019 9:18 AM in response to kennethfromfortbragg

Photos for Mac is storing the photos in your Photos Library. By default you will find the Photos Library.photoslibrary in your Pictures folder. The Pictures folder is outside of Desktop and Documents, so you need to include Pictures in the Time Machine folders.

If you are not sure, where your Photos Library is stored, launch Photos and open the Preferences. The "General" tab of the Photos Preferences is showing the path to your Photos Library at the top of the panel.

Where are Photos stored?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.