You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud photos not synching from iCloud to macbook

I have plenty of storage on both cloud account and locally on MacBook however half of my photos (most recent ones are not syncing from icloud to my Mac. Photos taken from iPhone sync to cloud fine however not then to my Mac. When I go to iCloud Photo Library on my Mac it states uploading 2300 items..however it shouldn’t be uploading anything but downloading..plus the uploading 2300 items does not move just stays there.

Ive signed out of all devices and disabled and reenabled photo library and my photo stream on all devices. Any other ideas?

Posted on Jun 6, 2019 8:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2019 12:15 AM

Photos will start a new upload to iCloud, for many reasons - essentially, if there is any doubt, if all items in the photos library are already in iCloud or not. For example, the Mac will upload the library again to compare it to iCloud, if you temporarily disabled iCloud Photos and turned it on again. Or if you restored the library from a backup, or if you moved the library to a new location. Or if you repaired your Photos Library. All this will result in a new upload too iCloud.

As long as the current upload has not finished, Photos will not download any new photos from iCloud. You have to wait for the current upload to finish.

Do not change any iCloud preferences on your Mac or try any repairs, because that will just result in the upload to start over from scratch and it will take just longer.

You could try to find out, if there are items in your Photos Library that cannot upload to

iCloud. See this document: About the status bar in Photos for macOS - Apple Support

The second section "If you can't upload photos from your Mac" describes two smart album. Create these albums and check, if they are empty. If one of these albums is not empty, check the format of these items, if they are in a special format. Are these albums empty? Did you recently import new videos or photos to your Mac?

Which system version is running on your Mac? Did you just install an upgrade?

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 7, 2019 12:15 AM in response to eddyyeah

Photos will start a new upload to iCloud, for many reasons - essentially, if there is any doubt, if all items in the photos library are already in iCloud or not. For example, the Mac will upload the library again to compare it to iCloud, if you temporarily disabled iCloud Photos and turned it on again. Or if you restored the library from a backup, or if you moved the library to a new location. Or if you repaired your Photos Library. All this will result in a new upload too iCloud.

As long as the current upload has not finished, Photos will not download any new photos from iCloud. You have to wait for the current upload to finish.

Do not change any iCloud preferences on your Mac or try any repairs, because that will just result in the upload to start over from scratch and it will take just longer.

You could try to find out, if there are items in your Photos Library that cannot upload to

iCloud. See this document: About the status bar in Photos for macOS - Apple Support

The second section "If you can't upload photos from your Mac" describes two smart album. Create these albums and check, if they are empty. If one of these albums is not empty, check the format of these items, if they are in a special format. Are these albums empty? Did you recently import new videos or photos to your Mac?

Which system version is running on your Mac? Did you just install an upgrade?

iCloud photos not synching from iCloud to macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.