You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2017 can't connect to LG 34UM69G monitor via USB-C

Hi!

I've recently bought LG 34UM69G monitor and I can't connect it to my MacBook via USB-C. When I use HDMI - USB-C cable everything works fine, but when I try USB-C - USB-C monitor says "No Signal".

One thing I've noticed is when I plug the USB-C - USB-C cable into the monitor the MacBook charges (super slow, but charges).

Thanks in advance for any help :)

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 15, 2019 3:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2019 7:30 AM

USB-C is the name of the connector, ONLY. It tells you nothing about the capabilities of the cable. You need a cable that supports DisplayPort.

The classic counter-example is the MacBook Pro charge cable, with a USB-C connector at each end. It supports charging, and that's about it. It also has conductors for USB-2, good for keyboard speeds.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 15, 2019 7:30 AM in response to karolproksa

USB-C is the name of the connector, ONLY. It tells you nothing about the capabilities of the cable. You need a cable that supports DisplayPort.

The classic counter-example is the MacBook Pro charge cable, with a USB-C connector at each end. It supports charging, and that's about it. It also has conductors for USB-2, good for keyboard speeds.

MacBook Pro 2017 can't connect to LG 34UM69G monitor via USB-C

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.