You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Separating two AppleIDs?

Most of the questions I see here regarding AppleIDs are asking how to merge them or share things between them, but I want to do the opposite. 

I use two Macs (a work MacBook I don’t own, and my own personal MacBook Air), and I log into both with the same AppleID. That AppleID is my oldest one (going back to the “me.com” days), which I use for everything but iTunes (photos, contacts, and calendars mainly). I have a second AppleID that I use only for iTunes. 

But I’m uneasy now about signing into both machines with the same AppleID (that, and new security measures at work are screwing with the syncing/workflow I’ve been using for years). Is it possible to start using the 2nd AppleID for the work machine and use the 1st only for my personal machine? Maybe I'd start fresh with new calendars, contacts, etc. for AppleID #2?

I used AppleID-2 to set up “Family Sharing,” a while back, and AppleID-1 is a “family member”; does that mean I could share calendars when I need to, in addition to app purchases? Or would each ID just subscribe to the others' calendars?)

Should I create a third AppleID for work-related stuff only? That seems like a recipe for confusion.

I’d appreciate any advice. 

MacBook Air 11", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 19, 2019 6:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2019 8:42 PM

You could create a 3rd ID for work, but depending on what you want to share, that may just make things more confusing.

You can use one ID for work and one for your personal computer. You can share a calendar, but you would need to start fresh with contacts. You could email Contacts vCards between the 2 IDs to share existing contacts if desired.

One change you might want to consider is disbanding your current Family Sharing ID and then set it up again using your personal ID as the organizer. If you change jobs or something similar, your personal ID would be 'in charge'.

Calendar Sharing

Family Sharing - Leave

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 19, 2019 8:42 PM in response to JenniAppleseed

You could create a 3rd ID for work, but depending on what you want to share, that may just make things more confusing.

You can use one ID for work and one for your personal computer. You can share a calendar, but you would need to start fresh with contacts. You could email Contacts vCards between the 2 IDs to share existing contacts if desired.

One change you might want to consider is disbanding your current Family Sharing ID and then set it up again using your personal ID as the organizer. If you change jobs or something similar, your personal ID would be 'in charge'.

Calendar Sharing

Family Sharing - Leave

Separating two AppleIDs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.