You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up iCloud Photo Library

My iCloud Photo Library is too large now to be contained on my MacBook hard drive; I would like to download and store the originals on an external drive for backup purposes in such a way that I can still access the "optimized" photos library on my MacBook when the EHD is not connected. Is that possible?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 19, 2019 8:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2019 12:52 AM

If your Photos Library is not yet optimized, you can drag it to an external drive. The drive needs to be prepared as described here:

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Double-click the library on the external drive to test it, then you can delete the library from your system drive and create a new, empty library on the internal drive. Make this library your iCloud Library and turn on "Optimize Mac Storage"-

This will create a backup of your current iCloud Photos. But later you will either have to import any new photos into both libraries or have to switch the iCloud sync occasionally to the second, full library on the external drive. If your library is very large, it is easier import any new photos to your archive than to switch between iCloud Libraries, because this will cause all photos to upload again to iCloud. Power Photos can move selected photos between libraries . It is a very versatile helper for Photos Libraries.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 20, 2019 12:52 AM in response to bleevic

If your Photos Library is not yet optimized, you can drag it to an external drive. The drive needs to be prepared as described here:

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Double-click the library on the external drive to test it, then you can delete the library from your system drive and create a new, empty library on the internal drive. Make this library your iCloud Library and turn on "Optimize Mac Storage"-

This will create a backup of your current iCloud Photos. But later you will either have to import any new photos into both libraries or have to switch the iCloud sync occasionally to the second, full library on the external drive. If your library is very large, it is easier import any new photos to your archive than to switch between iCloud Libraries, because this will cause all photos to upload again to iCloud. Power Photos can move selected photos between libraries . It is a very versatile helper for Photos Libraries.

Backing up iCloud Photo Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.