You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro 2018 overheating

Hey, I bought my MacBook Pro 2018 15” back in the summer it was released. Since then I was not using it for hard work, but a few weeks ago I started using Lightroom and I’ve noticed that after just a few minutes of editing the Mac gets really hot especially at the top part of the base. Is there any issue, cause I don’t think Lightroom is doing that kind of heavy work.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 21, 2019 9:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2019 10:52 AM

Are you using an external display?

Apple Diagnostics will check for failures of the fans or the temperature sensors that control the fan speed:

How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

4 replies

Jun 21, 2019 10:32 AM in response to PTheodorou

PTheodorou wrote: macbook pro 2018 overheating

I bought my MacBook Pro 2018 15” back in the summer it was released. Since then I was not using it for hard work, but a few weeks ago I started using Lightroom and I’ve noticed that after just a few minutes of editing the Mac gets really hot especially at the top part of the base. Is there any issue, cause I don’t think Lightroom is doing that kind of heavy work.

If it was overheating the Mac would shut itself down—is this what you are saying—it shuts down?

From the Battery icon in the upper right menu bar you can see what apps are using significant Energy, light room like Photos.app will call upon the dedicated graphics card. Getting warm would be normal.

The Integrated graphics shares memory with the CPU and provides a more economical alternative to the stand-alone card, known as "discrete graphics" or "dedicated graphics."

If you think you have a Thermal management problem you can Try resetting the SMC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

macbook pro 2018 overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.