You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

phishing scam or not?

I got an email today about an app that I did not sign up for "YNAB ( you need a budget)" and it stated that it will be charging me 83.99/year! - I think this may be a scam... or a mistaken charge if that is at all possible... I sent it in to reportphishing@apple.com ... just not sure if I will get a response. Have others gotten one of these emails too???

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 27, 2019 3:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2019 5:11 PM

You won't get a response from the phishing address you sent the email to.

Check your purchases history.

Purchase History Review

Apple will always address you by your name or the name they have on file for you, not Dear Customer, Dear Client or by using your e-mail address.  The e-mail will be from @apple.com or @iTunes.com. E-mail addresses can be spoofed. You can go to Mail/View/Message/Show all Headers to see more. Apple e-mails will never contain an attachment. Apple will never request personal information by email such as Social Security numbers, your Mother’s maiden name or full credit card numbers .

The only exception to the above I have noticed is if you order something from the Apple Store (apple.com), your receipt will be addressed to Dear Apple Customer. That is a receipt for a purchase you initiated.

Avoid phishing emails, fake ‘virus‘ alerts, phony support calls, and other scams

Identifying legitimate emails from the iTunes Store

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 27, 2019 5:11 PM in response to MedusasCat

You won't get a response from the phishing address you sent the email to.

Check your purchases history.

Purchase History Review

Apple will always address you by your name or the name they have on file for you, not Dear Customer, Dear Client or by using your e-mail address.  The e-mail will be from @apple.com or @iTunes.com. E-mail addresses can be spoofed. You can go to Mail/View/Message/Show all Headers to see more. Apple e-mails will never contain an attachment. Apple will never request personal information by email such as Social Security numbers, your Mother’s maiden name or full credit card numbers .

The only exception to the above I have noticed is if you order something from the Apple Store (apple.com), your receipt will be addressed to Dear Apple Customer. That is a receipt for a purchase you initiated.

Avoid phishing emails, fake ‘virus‘ alerts, phony support calls, and other scams

Identifying legitimate emails from the iTunes Store

Jun 28, 2019 8:50 AM in response to MedusasCat

I also received the same email. I contacted YNAB, and received this message back:

"Ack! Sorry for the scare here!

First, I want to confirm for you that this email is not from Apple or us and you will not be charged.

Earlier this week we learned that a phishing email was going around claiming to be from Apple saying you would be charged for a YNAB subscription. We did some investigating and we're able to confirm that the email isn't targeting YNAB users and our systems have not been compromised. This is a phishing attack using our name to try and gain access to people's Apple accounts. 

Apple has a system in place to try and stop bad actors like this. You can help by sending the email you received directly to Apple. All you need to do is forward it to Apple at reportphishing@apple.com so they can take action. He put together a quick Help Doc with a few more details and resources if you're interested.

Thank you for helping us stop these kinds of attacks! 

If you have any questions at all (about this or anything else YNAB related), please let us know!"

Hope this helps!

Jun 28, 2019 5:12 PM in response to MedusasCat

I received the same email but it was for my other email that wasn’t on my Apple account. Figured it was scamming, but then I started wondering if the accounting net was opened with my other email, and someone had gotten into my info. If they opened a new account and purchased this app, it wasn’t me! I hope that we get a response.

phishing scam or not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.