You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV 4K default resolution doesn't match 1080p HDTV resolution

When I use my AppleTV 4K with my Sony 1080p-capable HDTV with a direct HDMI connection between the AppleTV and the HDTV, whenever I start the AppleTV, instead of defaulting the resolution to 1080p, as my other components do, the AppleTV defaults to 720p resolution and I need to go into the Settings and manually change the resolution to 1080p SDR. The AppleTV then informs me that 1080p SDR is able to be used on my HDTV and asks if I wish to continue, which I do. Then, after shutting down both components, when I next wish to watch AppleTV, the default resolution is again set to 720p.

How can I get the AppleTV to stop using 720p as the default on a 1080p-capable HDTV and not have to manually change to that resolution every time I want to watch AppleTV? I even wen through the whole process os set-up after resetting my AppleTV, but this did not change. It had worked properly earlier but, after my AppleTV froze and had to have a hard reset (where the power cord was disconnected and then, after 30-60 seconds, reconnected) the default resolution changed to 720p.

Thanks.

P.S. I asked this question in an earlier discussion, but that seems to have been deleted from my subscriptions.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 12

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 5:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2019 3:41 PM

UPDATE: I tried changing the HDMI port where the AppleTV was connected to the HDTV, but no change. Then, I decided to try connecting the AppleTV to a different HDTV that I had access to and it worked properly! I then tried connecting my old AppleTV to the original HDTV and it, too, connected at 720p to an 1080p-capable HDTV. So, it appears that the problem is not with the AppleTV but, for some reason, the Sony HDTV is not providing the proper 1080p signal from any of the HDMI ports to which I connected the AppleTV. Guess it's time to get a new 4K HDTV? ;)

Thanks to all who read this thread and to those who replied! :D

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 14, 2019 3:41 PM in response to E. Kennedy

UPDATE: I tried changing the HDMI port where the AppleTV was connected to the HDTV, but no change. Then, I decided to try connecting the AppleTV to a different HDTV that I had access to and it worked properly! I then tried connecting my old AppleTV to the original HDTV and it, too, connected at 720p to an 1080p-capable HDTV. So, it appears that the problem is not with the AppleTV but, for some reason, the Sony HDTV is not providing the proper 1080p signal from any of the HDMI ports to which I connected the AppleTV. Guess it's time to get a new 4K HDTV? ;)

Thanks to all who read this thread and to those who replied! :D

Jun 29, 2019 9:15 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for your reply, but could you be more specific as to where in Settings I can make 1080p the default resolution for my AppleTV without manually changing the resolution from 720p every time I turn it on? Even after it has gone to "sleep" after 15 minutes, when it "wakes," the resolution has returned to 720p even though, before it went to sleep, I had set the resolution to 1080p.

I checked the video quality in the apps and it was set to "Best Available," I think, and I looked at the color profile but that didn't seem to be something that could affect the resolution. Where else should I be looking?

Thanks, again!

AppleTV 4K default resolution doesn't match 1080p HDTV resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.