You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

family sharing

Hello! When my parents first got our phones they added them to a family sharing account, what they did not realise is that you need to create multiple accounts. Now I have been on this account for about 5 years now and have got all my contacts everything on it. We have had issues with family sharing recently like getting everyone’s photos and apps that they download. My question is, how do I create my own account? as Apple asks for the Apple ID of the account you want to add to family sharing and because I am on the same Apple ID it’s not letting me create another account, please help me as this has been a huge inconvenience to my family and I don’t want anyone loosing any personal information.

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 11:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2019 6:21 AM

If you are 13 years old or older, use the link below. Once you create the ID, the family organizer will need to invite you to join the existing family.

Apple ID – Create

If you are under 13 years old, the family organizer will need to create the ID for you.

Family Sharing and Apple ID for your child

Once you have the new ID, on your device, there may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. Also see Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another

Apple ID email address or password - What to do after you change

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 29, 2019 6:21 AM in response to sander179

If you are 13 years old or older, use the link below. Once you create the ID, the family organizer will need to invite you to join the existing family.

Apple ID – Create

If you are under 13 years old, the family organizer will need to create the ID for you.

Family Sharing and Apple ID for your child

Once you have the new ID, on your device, there may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. Also see Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another

Apple ID email address or password - What to do after you change

family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.