You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad locked in restore/update

How can I recover my iPad that is locked in a restore/update cycle? I tried to update it, and it didn't have enough space for the update. Now it won't update or restore. When I try to restore, I get a message that it can't be restored because the disk is full. But I can't get it to open and let me delete files. It's offline, so iCloud can't help.

iPad Air, iOS 8

Posted on Jun 30, 2019 5:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2019 6:09 AM

Try the suggestions in this Apple Support document: If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Do you have enough memory on your computer? The disk full message could be your computer, not your iPad.

If no joy, schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar for assistance.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 30, 2019 6:09 AM in response to wmweinhold

Try the suggestions in this Apple Support document: If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Do you have enough memory on your computer? The disk full message could be your computer, not your iPad.

If no joy, schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar for assistance.

iPad locked in restore/update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.